Yemen Mocca Matari

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Who has roasted Yemen Mocca Matari? Any comments? What a coffee is that? I have just bought it and will have at the end of the month. I plan to sell it as expensive and strong coffee.
Any advice regarding roasting?

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
Have you sample roasted yet? Cupped? On what basis do you say "Strong" without sampling/cupping?

Also, I know of "Yemen" Mocca Matari - but "Ethiopian"??? Sounds like some research is on its way - IMHO.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Sorry!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: Of course yemen! I did not pay attention! You guys thought I was talking about some new Ethiopian coffee and I thought how happened that nobody has roasted this coffee from Yemen.
No, I have no samples, I just talked with the supplier. and it is expensive ...

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Avoid getting it too hot....it needs a bit more heat than a Brazilian, but if you get it too hot, it can get a bit of an ashy old engine oil taste. Also don't try and rush the roast or it will be very uneven. It can tend to look slightly uneven anyway, but don't worry about it.

First crack is not as loud as many coffees and you do not want 1st to be very vigorous...a sign that you got it too hot. I have personally found it best roasted just to second crack (medium to medium dark), some people like to roast it into second, I find this destroys some of the flavours and gives it an ashy bitterness I find unpleasant.

The last lot of YMM I had when roasted exactly right would give decent hint of dried red strawberry flavour and smell (like those little red bits you find in kids breakfast cereal)....this was very very nice. It's a coffee that works very well in the press pot, americano etc... It has a real richness and body with a mellowness that is pleasant. The coffee I had had quite low acidity.....I would describe it as more "rich" rather than "strong" tasting.

P.S. There can be considerable variation in flavours etc.. from crop to crop and even between batches!

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Thanks davec. I myself have had no touch on this coffee, and as I wait now for it I use to think how I shall roast it and what it will be, and I feel I,ll do something approximately alike to what you say.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Finally I got them, Matari, Mandheling,Yirgacheffe, Kenya PB and new Tarrazu. Cant wait to roast them.
Guys, I have lots of other coffees too (18 all) but Matari, Mandheling and PB I must introduce now to my customers. Also have to invent two good blends. (Not necessarily with only new coffees but the new blends should include at least one of them).
Please let me have any suggestions for introducing the new coffee at retail location. Also any suggestions for making new blends?

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
Temuri - Where did you get your greens? Have you sampled them yet? If not - I would prior to roasting and selling them - find the right profile first, if you can find one. Be ready and able to talk about each one when asked.

Happy roasting!!! :D

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
thank you and of course I will try to get the best from the beens, but i am not retailing myself and need some advise about countertop promotional materials or retailing tricks how to introduce new coffees to customers. Of course I have some ideas, but need advise from cleverer people then me. (pics also wellcome). I have to begin it from Saturday.
I buy it from Hamburg, Germany.

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
If you currently have customers and wish to expose them to new coffees, I would suggest giving it away - what I mean is if they are in line to get their "ususal" cup of the day, then offer them a cup of this new product for free - one time. If they like it, they'll ask for it next time. Or if you are moving whole beans then give it away to your current customers in small 4oz sample pack. Call it customer appreciation (spell?)...ask for feedback...hand out survey cards to get feedback on the sample and offer them a cup of coffee for taking the survey...

This is just what I have in my head for one kind of marketing. Folks like it when they get something for free - especially if it's something they want anyway!

Not sure if this is going to help but we need more from you about what it is you are trying to do in order to offer more. I guess... :?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Yemen Coffee

I was going to try that matari just because it looked interesting, but being greener than the coffee beans I decided to play it safe and start with the basics.
Tanzanian, Guat Coban & Antigua, and a Ehtiopian Yerg are my next trial and errors.

I am roasting on a USRC 3KG roaster and just ordered my sample roaster from Dan. I think roasting on a sample first will help me understand the coffee in a more efficient way, besides it is cheaper!!
Charlie

Yemoffee

Dec 30, 2013
NYC
Visit site
Hello fellow coffee lovers. Has any of you thought about getting that great Yemeni coffee straight from Yemen's coffee farms? We have connections directly with the farmers and can bring you the best quality pure Yemeni coffee direct to you.