Reliable sources for greens?

petestorm

May 8, 2009
Northern VA
Visit site
Following up on the recent inspirational thread about roasting and selling at home (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7621). Been roasting at home for a good 10 years now mostly with the basic green-paneled HotTop but have upgraded the control board so I can have more control and it's really reignited my passion for it.

Been buying greens from Sweet Marias for years with a lot of luck. Great experiences with them. Wonder if there are any reliable sources on the East cost? Like to keep shipping down as well cater to my personal view that it seems like a waste of fuel to ship all the way across the country. Specifically looking for folks selling Fair Trade/Organic in quantities of 20 lbs or more. In my area that might be a nice niche to try to fill. Already have the informational packet from the state coming so I can fix up an appropriate room for roasting and am looking at a 3kg US Roaster machine and drooling.

Really looking for sources that accurately represent what they sell, are reliable, honest, and actually carry certified Fair Trade/Organic as opposed to just saying they do. Wholesale sources would be nice as well but I'm certainly not going to ask anyone to give up any confidential sources.

Thanks much all!

redcut

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been roasting coffee for about a year. I do it for myself and give away some. Essentially I do 4 to 5 lbs every other Saturday w my Boemer roaster.

I buy from Sweet Maria's also and have learned much about coffee from them. The last several months I haver been buying most of my greens from Green Coffee Buying Club. It is a nice way to get 5 to 15 lbs of good specialty green coffee that has already been cupped. The sellers for the most part are guys that buy a bag of 130 lbs or so from a big wholesaler and then divvy it up and mail it.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/

The coffees I've bought have all been in the Sweet Maria quality at around 50 to 60 percent of the SM price. I've bought around 100 lbs or so in batches of 5 to 15 lbs and have been pleased w all. There is an open forum like this one and it is a very nice and layed back group.

Sweet Maria's is great! (for the record) ... I've really enjoyed all of Thompson's travel logs as well... really helps give an insight to where our beloved coffee bean comes from. (Big up Thompson!)

Have you tried www.ourcoffeebarn.com yet? I see them post around here every so often.. I picked up a few 25lb bags of FTO from them.. available in 25 and 50 pound sacks.. and they've all cupped very high. They are located in Wisconsin, so its east coast-ish... more so than Oakland CA, that's for sure.

Best!

petestorm

May 8, 2009
Northern VA
Visit site
thewilliams1 said:
Sweet Maria's is great! (for the record) ... I've really enjoyed all of Thompson's travel logs as well... really helps give an insight to where our beloved coffee bean comes from. (Big up Thompson!)

Have you tried http://www.ourcoffeebarn.com yet? I see them post around here every so often.. I picked up a few 25lb bags of FTO from them.. available in 25 and 50 pound sacks.. and they've all cupped very high. They are located in Wisconsin, so its east coast-ish... more so than Oakland CA, that's for sure.

Best!

So glad you've had good luck with them as I'd put them up at the top of my list to give a try. Chicago area native so I have a soft spot for Wisconsin. Mmmm....cheese and fireworks (and now coffee!)