The Science of Roasting/Profiling--Books?

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been roasting for about four years now, selling to a very small market at about 60 lbs. per month (more of a hobby than anything). However, I just made the plunge and bought an Ambex YM-15 to try to start selling to local retailers. My experience with profiling has been based more of an art than anything, based on trial, error, intuition...and, of course, love. However, I would like to more thoroughly understand the science of the roast process so I can develop my...art!

Any thoughts on books or articles that might point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

KCR

coffeejoes

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello! There is not a single source to use. You will need to compile information from mulitiple sources including other roasters. My suggustion would be to start with this book "Home Coffee Roasting" by Kenneth Davids.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
There are profile roasting classes you can take and there are also books on coffee chemistry. I think you would enjoy the book by Illy- Espresso Quality...

coffeejoes

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
KCR,
Check out Willheilm Boot's website. He has penned at least four articles for Roast Mag. His company is called Boot Coffee Consulting. I think you will enjoy reading his material.
Tim