What to look for when buying 12kg roaster?

Dieter01

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
We are moving our coffee shop to a new location and at the same time start a roasting business. I am on the lookout for a ~12kg roaster. So far I have found a 2001 Probat LP12 that looks interesting but expensive...

What should I check when looking at a machine like this? Any parts that are known to wear down, are hard to find or expensive to replace?
How much should I expect to pay for a machine set up for propane, including piping and 2 x 100kg propane bottles with cabinet?

ACRM

Oct 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Just like an 1970's Ford

Hi Dieter,

All drum roasters are relatively simple machines - 3/4 electric motors, 2 fans, 2+ bearings, maybe a gear/reduction box plus electric controls. All of these will eventually wear out so, treat it like buying a used car manufactured in the 1970's!

1. Listen to the machine in operation. Any noise that sounds odd might indicate excessive wear.
2. Look at the machine in operation. Any movement (drum/power train/vibration) that is irregular might indicate excessive wear.
3. Contact the manufacturer/agent and ask for the price and availability of all motors, bearings and power train items. If you can't get an answer within an hour or so, think about what that would be like with a stack of orders from your hard won customers waiting to be filled.
4. If the roaster is still in operation, taste some of the coffee roasted on the machine ie take it for a spin around the block.
5. Look for evidence of fire. It won't mean the machine is no good but it will be an indication of how well the roaster was cared for because most fires are caused by poor cleaning/maintenance procedures.

Hope this helps. Ask anything else!

Rowan

Burn it, Bag it and Drag it.