roasting cocoa beans.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried roasting cocoa beans in a coffee roaster? I have heard that it is doable, with some minor adjustments. If this is true, does the roaster need to be a cocoa dedicated roaster, or can you switch back and forth. I am guessing that the cocoa would leave a lasting aroma in the roaster.

luwakcoffee

Jul 13, 2011
Indonesia
Visit site
This is a very good question post. I think you have to try it at home if you have roaster then share to us. I plan to launch the mix of coffee and cocoa both digested by the animal.

DirtyDave

Yes, the cacao will leave aromas and residue, but so does coffee
I have roasted nibs in my own design air roaster (see youtube coffee roaster by DirtyDave Customs) with remarkable results.
What could it hurt? Try it for yourself.
Obviously different profiles, heat levels etc
Good luck.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks DirtyDave! I will try and locate raw cocoa nibs and give it a shot. Sweet air roaster by the way.

Alchemist

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey there. Actually, I've done this for years, and there is not any cross contamination of flavor, one way or another. The whole cocoa beans have a husk that seals any coffee residue out, and likewise keeps any cocoa residue from depositing in the roaster. Your main 'trick' is that cocoa roasts much cooler than coffee - about 100 F. Finally, I really don't recommend roasting nibs in drum roasters - The size is too variable and you get a lot of over roasted bits and tipping. It is lesser in an air roaster, but tipping can still be a problem. Alchemist John Chocolate Alchemy

Last edited:

Dan

Feb 27, 2012
Israel
Visit site
Hi all.
I might add that we have several customers roasting cocoa with our shop roasters (drum with infrared heating) and the feedback has been good. The only modification that I've been asked for, and was just produced a couple of weeks ago, was a drum-speed controller for slowing down the drum a bit.
"We", by the way, are Coffee-Tech Engineering.

Alchemist

May 2, 2012
Visit site
The other thing that I have found is air flow if you have it. Some roasting drums have a high air flow which can be great for coffee but can virtually strip the aromatics out of cocoa. Minimum air flow for cocoa roasting is the way to go I have found. Alchemist John Chocolate Alchemy

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, all.

If things go as planned, I'd eventually like to have a very small home roaster dedicated to cocoa beans for use in our shop. However, I'll happily use Chocolate Alchemy's roasted organic offerings until that time.

scott

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I've become hooked on brewed cocoa, thanks to John @ Chocolate Alchemy. (I've always been a dark chocolate FREAK.) I've tried his Dominican Conconado and the Peruvian Criollo, both organic offerings. Today I put in an order for a couple more varieties.

Anyway, our plans for the shop we are opening now include selling brewing cocoa by the cup, both hot and iced. Then last night I began thinking about the idea of not only roasting cocoa beans for brewing cocoa but also making our own organic chocolate treats to sell in the cafe. My first thought is to offer home made organic chocolate, both dark and milk plain and with fruit and nuts added.

It sounds like I can roast both cocoa and coffee beans in the same roaster with no contamination issues.

I like to eat chocolate while drinking coffee, but as mentioned above, I'm a dark choco-holic. Any and all comments about offering organic chocolate products for sale in our cafe would be appreciated.

Scott

Rebecca

May 11, 2012
Langley, WA.
Visit site
We have some videos on roasting that we've put on our Facebook page. Useless Bay Coffee Co., based on Whidbey Island in Washington State. Good luck with your roasting venture!