Diedrich IR12 roast capacity

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Diedrich says that their IR12 and IR5 roasters can roast as little as a pound at a time. Does anyone know if this is accurate, and if accurate, is it difficult to control the roast in small batches. I have read that on other machines, going under 50% capacity is possible but becomes exceedingly difficult the smaller you go in batch size, that you REALLY have to know your stuff and know your roaster. I am going to be learning how to roast and don't want to waste a bunch of money on ruining larger batches of beans. If I can do a pound at a time now, and then increase as demand increases without having to purchase a new machine in a year would be preferable to getting a small roaster now (i.e. a 3lb roaster), then looking for another one down the road.
Thanks,
Jim.

Last edited:

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
I periodically roast under 50% capacity on Diedrich's and with some adjustments like Gas and airflow it can be done. I recently roasted 8lbs on a 24k and it turned out great. Just gotta watch time/temp and adjust your gas/airflow accordingly.

I will say for me at about 75% capacity seems to work best but experiment and have some fun with it.

Good luck

coffeejoes

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have a IR12 and have roasted as little as 2# with consistent results. It may be hard but not impossible to roast small batches. I would suggest finding a used IR machine to learn the ropes and then sell when you are ready to move up. It will probably be worth what you paid for it.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info and advice. It looks like I am going to purchase a 91 Diedrich IR7. Cold feet and doubts are starting to set in as it comes time to fork over the $. At the same time I can't wait to get it set up and start roasting!