That time again...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
The time has come for me to start looking for some apprentices. I have been lucky in the past and have had great people to train and work with...Brian don't get a big head..but I do miss you ;) ! I am looking for all people who are looking to learn all aspects of the coffee business. From barista to roasting. send me a pm if you are interested. The job is in South Florida (Delray beach FL) but we will be opening roasterys in other parts of the states in the next couple of years.
Thanks,
Topher

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have found one...still need one...guess Boot didn't want to go for round 2. Hit me up when you come back to town so we can hit up the funky buddha for a pint of maple bacon coffee porter!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
We are opening in Delray Beach Florida. Alun I wish you could see what we have done here! We have squeezed a roastery and coffee shop into a 830 sq foot facility. If we had a wee little 2 or 5 kilo that wouldn't be so unbelievable...we slammed a 60 kilo with after burner and production line into this place! I am roasting for a bagel chain and we are going to start franchising the coffee shop concept. We have 9 bagel shops open now and have 13 in construction...things are about to explode! I'm excited as hell!!! Good luck on your opening!! Did you ever find someone to roast for you? Hit me up when you get a chance. [email protected]

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
where on the west coast? I get back to Tampa area at least once a month...what size roaster are you putting in and what brand?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I don't like the four letter "f" word "free" pffft! Just kidding. To be honest we are very lucky to have one of our bagel stores as a neighbor. People can look in and watch the roasting process from the bagel shop or from my coffee shop. On weekends I send over the baristas to sample the masses. Usually there is a coffee shop next to a bagel shop. I watched in the past where people walk in to the coffee shop for coffee then go to the bagel shop that also serves coffee. I try and imagine someone from Starbux walking into an Einstein and try sampling. I don't think that would go over too well...but in my case they love it!!

coffeemessiah

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 15 kilo Ambex, setting up here in St Pete. Just installed 2 weeks ago by the Roaster Authority. I'm planning on getting a standard retail cafe Dept of Agiculture permit, but is there something different if I just wanted to be just wholesale? I cant find much on the subject. Even the State has no idea what a coffee roaster is.....even the City people are like " So, you are just grinding coffee?"

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Ive only had to deal with dept of agriculture. I don't understand why they are acting like they have never seen one before. There are a few coffee roasters in St. Pete. There is an Italian market in the burg that has a roaster in its place. I will find out the name of it and post it. You might stop in and see what they had to do to move forward. You also have Kahwa coffee roasting on 8th ave. Hope this helps.

coffeemessiah

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I used to get wholesale from Mazzaro's a few years back, they are not interested in talking shop or cupping coffees one bit. I watched their baristas butcher espresso after espresso. 2 minute long shots, scary....They let the espresso grinder run for 10 minutes, let it get stale, and just cram it into a 30 year old Spaziale portafilter......Everything else there is great though!
And another local "favorite", Kahwa is bland, they have their sights on franchising apparently, just banging it out.....
Fortunately the internet has been a better window into the coffee roasting world! Roast & Fresh Cup magazines have also been helpful.