Differences between Stainless Steel and Copper Drums (Has Garanti)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

We've been using a series of 2kg Has Garanti roasters in our shops, and a question has been posed to me which I'm not sure about: We have one machine with a copper drum, and it takes FOREVER to cool back down after a batch compared with the stainless steel machines - can anybody explain this? Their heat capacities are comparable, I'd have thought the higher thermal conductivity of copper would facilitate a more rapid cooldown. Would it be down to different constructions conferring different levels of insulation to the roasting drum? I'd appreciate it if any light can be thrown on.

Can anyone suggest any other factors which differentiate a stainless steel vs. copper roasting machine?

Thanks in advance...

kanyevil

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The Color................

haha,

On a serious note, I think it's because copper preserves heat, while stainless steel doesn't...?

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I'd have thought the higher thermal conductivity of copper would facilitate a more rapid cooldown.

Hmmm, good point. Copper is more conductive than stainless steel and stainless steel always retains heat better than copper, so yes, that would mean your copper drum SHOULD gain or lose heat more rapidly than your stainless steel drum. You should ask Has Garanti the construction difference between them, maybe the copper drum is lined with something else and is very thick?