Sonofresco any comments

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I talked with a guy at Coffee Tec about the Sonofresco, and he said they had some issues in past models which they have resolved, and now it is a perfect little brainless roaster. Push a button and walk away. I haven't gotten any feedback from an actual user of the new and improved model yet. I am intersested to see what others have to say about it also. It does seem like a good tool for doing 1lb online orders if you have that kind of business.
good luck

DirtyDave

There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Coffee "people" are some of the cheapest guys (and gals) out there.
The Sonofresco, is one notch above toy.
It's a better prospect than an iRoast, but you get what you pay for.
Read their manual (available online), and you will see the many shortcomings of operation, theory and maintenance.
If I had to chose between a Sonofresco and a cast iron frying pan, I would hesitate...........and get the Sonofresco.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Don't waste your money on the Sonofresco. Air roaster, and not a particularly good one at that.

If you are going that route, Toper is a reasonable roaster for the price, but I'd opt for a small Diedrich, Probat, or San Franciscan.

You get what you pay for.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So what do you guys recommend for doing test roasts. The bean distributor has 1 lb samples, but I don't want to try and roast them in the IR7. Is a cast iron pan just as good as an I-roast or similar for doing sample batches. My cast iron pan technique may be lacking, for I do not get a very even roast.

coffeemessiah

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Sonofresco and have roasted over 1000 lbs of coffee on it this year. Very nice, even and consistent roasts. I bought it refurbished on Ebay and it has paid for itself 5 times over. For the value and simplicity of the machine, I highly recommend it.

DirtyDave

If you have an air roaster as your production unit make your own sample unit.
If you have a drum roaster as your production device, buy one of the many tiny drum roasters available on the market.
Remember if you have a cast iron drum, a tiny drum roaster with a perforated drum will produce very different results and
will not be compatible.
Since the small air roasters are rarely similar in architecture to larger ones, beware of the results you get.
I built my own, it can profile roast, just like my larger unit.

Attachments

• Sample Roaster.JPG
    Sample Roaster.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 906