casters on a Deidrich IR7

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Does any one know if you can safely put casters on a 91 Deidrich IR7? There are holes drilled into the bottom of the frame on each corner of the unit. I don't know if having it supported only on the corners would cause too much strain on the frame. I was also thinking about bolting it onto a low cart, something similar to a creeper or piano dolly. The only problem with the piano dolly thing is that it raises it up higher than I would prefer, and seems a bit less stable.
Any suggestions?

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
diedrich said that they couldn't recommend it either. They did say it was possible, but the machine is top heavy, and it would pose a risk. I am roasting out of the garage in the short term, so I just wanted to be able to wheel it into the corner when not in use and then wheel it out into he middle of the garage and hook it up to the gas line and exhaust line going out of the garage door. Once I open a retail space I would place it directly on the floor. I may need to reconsider this.
Thank you Dirty Dave and Topher for your advice.

coffeejoes

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I had my YM10 on casters and it never wandered. I had a safety chain attached to the roaster and the wall. That being said I would not do this unless space was a concern. I needed the machine to move for cleaning purposes. If you do this, get good casters with locks. Make sure the casters will carry the weight, perhaps over spec the caster carrying capacity. Good luck.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Harbor Freight has plenty of very heavy duty castors, and you could get a welded frame made if necessary. I would use a reinforced wood platform, put some extra castors in the middle, and block it up with wood if the castors are an issue.

DirtyDave

Don't run with scissors
Don't talk to strangers
Don't play with fire
And DON'T PUT YOUR ROASTER ON WHEELS
Whatever convenience this provides will be insufficient to you when you are in the hospital and your garage is a pile of smoldering ashes.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Sage advice indeed. However, necessity(and often laziness) is the mother of all invention. My roaster is currently sitting on two low profile steal carts (No more than 3" high) and is connected to a flexible gas line and exhaust line. It all seems to be stable and safe enough. Building inspector gave it the green light, and gas co. and fire marshal are coming out next week. I appreciate everyone's input and if I am gambling with my safety, lets hope the short term nature of this scenario pays off.

DirtyDave

Don't kick hornets' nests.
Don't make toast while you're in the bathtub.
Don't play golf in an electrical storm.
How many homilies will it take.
If the inspector passes your installation, at least you'll be able to sue the city when you need that skin graft.

kanyevil

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't run with scissors
Don't talk to strangers
Don't play with fire
And DON'T PUT YOUR ROASTER ON WHEELS
Whatever convenience this provides will be insufficient to you when you are in the hospital and your garage is a pile of smoldering ashes.

I don't see whats too bad about Roaster on wheels , tbh with you DirtyDave... I mean, I've seen people with the Toper Cafemeno on wheels, and it's really convenient. Farms, cafes, whatever..

Maybe putting a larger roaster on wheels wouldn't be the best idea, but having a small one on wheels or rather a cart....I dont see what's wrong..:coffee1: