Looking for Sivetz roaster

GAR

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a used Sivetz coffee roaster, 5 or 8 pound. Let me know if you have one. I live in Oregon.
Thanks!

GAR

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Out of curiosity, why would the former Sivetz users consider buying this unit?

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
Since I just disassembled a sivetz that broke down toward the end of a day of roasting, I now have first hand experience of WHY some sivetz owners would consider a Ken Sheppard unit. There are a number of little things that could be improved on the sivetz, even if just to make service and repair a little easier. The Sivetz is still an awesome roaster, but like anything else, it can be improved. This is exactly what Ken has done.

For example, I found a poor connection that melted a wire. I only needed access to the backside of the bulkhead fitting that feeds power to the heat coils. If there was a way to access this with out taking the entire unit apart, it could have been repaired in 30-40 minutes. Instead, it tool most of the day to totally break it down to get at one little piece.

Ken's stuff is sure worth a look.

DirtyDave

Sivetz roasters were made by a roofing contractor to Mike's poorly thought out design.
Even the mighty Probat is in dire need of modification (not to mention Toper, Ambex, Franciscan, you name it).
If you want to have every roast be an adventure, get a drum roaster.
If you want to put some elbow grease into improving a Sivetz (and some thought), go ahead and get one.
At least you will be able to know exactly what temperature of input is cooking your beans , and be able to repeat a roast profile.
Having said this; don't be blind to the shortcomings of the machine (and the basic technology), these are passive machines as they come from Oregon, if you want to do proper profile roasting, there's allot of work to do and money to spend.
Good luck.

opus

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I joined just to answer your post. I know where there is a 5# and a 12# that might be for sale. They are in NW Montana.

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
Try a Toper !
I have not yet researched the Toper, perhaps you might provide a compelling reason? (Far more valuable post IMHO).

Sivetz roasters were made by a roofing contractor to Mike's poorly thought out design.
Even the mighty Probat is in dire need of modification (not to mention Toper, Ambex, Franciscan, you name it).
So does this mean they were awesome or less so? I am not sure if saying "made by roof contractor" is a good or bad thing.

If you want to have every roast be an adventure, get a drum roaster.
No offense, but not sure what you mean by this. I personally just wish to produce a particular roast and then be able to duplicate it time and again. I am looking for a small roaster for samples and tiny batches. (1-3#).

If you want to put some elbow grease into improving a Sivetz (and some thought), go ahead and get one.
This is my first choice, as is making my own.

At least you will be able to know exactly what temperature of input is cooking your beans , and be able to repeat a roast profile.
Sorry, still confused. I have seen drum roasters produce consistent profiles and also be able to monitor temps. The sivetz I worked with only gave environment temp halfway up the spout. No idea what the temp was below the beans in the heat box. As far as I know it was just "max temp" as the heat was just applied at full, and the air flow in the base chamber was voltage regulated in order to kep the spout in the bean chamber, thus contain the heat.

Having said this; don't be blind to the shortcomings of the machine (and the basic technology),
Good advice, do you have any other comments on Sivetz short comings or those of other roasters?

these are passive machines as they come from Oregon,
?? If they were made elsewhere would they be proactive?
My assumption is that the sivetz is straight forward, simple roasting with little to adjust or complicate the process. Keeping it simple allows for more repeatable results.
Is this what you mean?

if you want to do proper profile roasting, there's allot of work to do and money to spend.
Good luck.
What is "Proper Profile roasting"?
Like anything done well, it's not easy and these tools arent cheap, but I was able to reproduce roasts at the plantation I worked on recently. I have no long time professional roasting experience. I roast at home and have spent time with local roasteries working with the roast-master. I think that with the sivetz I could follow basic procedures and easily duplicate roasts, time after time.

I am now considering building my own and am in search of electric heating elements. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks again for insight. I hope to get more info.

kanyevil

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Coffee_roaster, in your case, i think it's better to try a Toper first. Bottem line, They are affordable....