Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flavoring coffee

Hello,
    I'm new to this roasting about 4 months. Have come up with a good combo for our main coffee selection. Now I what to flavor it like with vanilla or choco. rasberry. Should I flavor before roasting or after?
    Could use some feed back! Thanks from Alaska

Super Moderator
    definatly before just kidding...don't you dare put flavoring in your roaster..not only would all your coffees taste like flavoring but you would have a nice little fire....flavor after words when your coffee has cooled. Which flavoring company did you go with?
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Good morning,
    Thank you for answering my question. I went with flavor waves It seems to be pretty good! :P I only had a few choices but I'll keep looking because this stuff is fun.

Definitely flavor after roasting - if you roast flavors, you get 1.) carbonized flavoring 2.) sticky, gunky roaster.

There are different ways to deal with grinding flavored coffee. If you don't mind flavor residue in your grinder, you can flavor first. If you have a good mixer, you can flavor after grinding. The mixing is important because if you don't mix a lot, you get uneven flavoring.
    Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water. ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Super Moderator
    I can't see flavoring after you grind...unless you are using power bean...If you are going to use liquid on ground coffee it will clump. You should just dedicate one grinder to flavoring.

As far as flavoring after grinding, we converted an industrial washing machine - looks like a cement mixer for flavoring. It can handle half a ton of coffee at a time.

Do not try this at home.
    Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water. ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Super Moderator
    I still do not understand how you flavor coffee after it is ground....when you brew coffee the coffee grounds stick together...add flavor(a liquid) it will do the same thing.

Coffee absorbs flavoring much like it absorbs water. And as long as we're here, let's acknowledge that coffee when brewed absorbs 2x its weight in water. 1.75 oz of coffee when brewed will absorb 3.5 oz of water. And as anyone knows who has handles wet coffee grounds - they are sticky.

The trick is to flavor the coffee, not to brew it with flavoring.

Here are 2 examples you can try in a home kitchen:
    Take some ground coffee, a mixer and some flavoring (lemon extract, for example). Start the mixer and pour in the flavor. Voila - clumps.

Take some ground coffee, a mixer and some flavoring (vanilla or lemon if you really like that). Instead of pouring in the flavoring, use a mist sprayer - like those being sold these days for olive oil or spraying vermouth on a martini. At any given point of contact between flavor and coffee, there is enough flavoring to flavor the coffee but not enough to get it to clump. Viscosity of the flavoring is important - you don't want maple syrup consistency. It has to be thinner.

After all that, it is easier and less expensive to pour whole beans in the mixer with the flavor and grind afterwards.

Super Moderator
    Yes...I think I will stick to flavoring whole beans...time and energy would be a lot less. What is with your signiture? God shot? and before breakfast no less :P

god shot is about espresso.

In the 16th Century Pope Clement VIII proclaimed that God blesses and approves of coffee. It is only natural it could extend to the perfect espresso: the God Shot.

For a lengthy article on the god shot, see

http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/mark ... 11-12-2002

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links