new to home roasting, coffee has good color but not great flavor - tips?

OrkinYards

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I just recently started home roasting with the sr 500 roaster. I've been learning as I go, but struggling to get really strong flavors or depth to the flavor. I've gotten good color from the bean and the coffee but seem to not have a flavor that is as strong as the color.

Any tips that might help me understand where the flavoring aspect comes from in the roast and how I can improve.

Thanks!

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Welcome to the world of coffee! So much to love about it.
So many variables...coffee roasting is a bit of a science, and requires making a change, testing the result, making a change, testing the result, etc. etc.
Variables are the green coffee (grade and freshness), roasting process, brewing process. Books have been written about all three of these very broad factors. Do you have the book "Home Roasting" (I think) by Kenneth David? It's a great book to get you started with the basics of roasting coffee.
Happy roasting!
Ellen

OrkinYards

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the slow reply. I realized that unless someone is actually using the roaster I have (SR500) that my step by step might be somewhat meaningless.

I've since tried quite a few settings ranging from high heat-low heat and adjusting the timing from 5.9 min-11 min. I've had beans that are very lightly roasted and very darkly roasted and still haven't had a bean that has a very strong flavor. Currently I have Sumatran, Guatemalan and Ethiopian beans.

I definitely need to check out the book that was mentioned to see if that helps.