Roasted my first batch!

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I roasted my first batch two days ago, woohoo! Half pound Ethiopian Sidamo that turned out Full City, was aiming for City... Tasted pretty good, but I know I made some mistakes that I need to improve on for next time. Not bad on a whirley pop! This is all I can post for now, maybe details later.

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello all from an absolute beginner. Today, 3/10/12, I received a small sample from The Coffee Project, a great organzation, to roast stove top. Instead we tried using an electric skillet with a lid and roasted outdoors. If the beans are kept moving, the process can be somewhat noisy. Is this common in many types of roasting, that hearing the crack(s) can prove difficult? Is it OK to rely on color/smoke/temperature to achieve the desired roast? We judged by color only. We'll let them sit a day or so before grinding and brewing and will report back. Tips?

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm still very new at roasting, but I've already found that the 1st/2nd crack AIR temp start and end times are very good indications of how far along the roast I am, along with judging by color as well as smoke aroma. As far as roast level recommended BEAN temps, I don't use them while roasting on a whirley pop. The thermometer I use only measures the air temp rather than the bean temp. So when using temp, I only base it on my previous roast temps rather than aiming for a desired bean temp for a specific roast profile. In any case, if you know what color and smell you are aiming for, then I guess it could work even if you can't hear the cracks. However, hearing the cracks is a good indication of how far along the roast you are.