Looking to buy a roaster Need some help

BrownstonesCoffee

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I own a coffee shop in New York and am looking to buy a Coffee roaster...We currently use about 150 lbs of coffee and are looking to expand to selling wholesale...I have just started looking...just looking for some guidance in which brands are recommended, how many pounds or kilos should I be looking for, as well as where to purchase one. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Dan

Feb 27, 2012
Israel
Visit site
BrownstonesCoffee,

First of all - best of luck. You're in for an exciting adventure.
I can speak only for myself, and my company - it sounds like our Solar roaster would be perfect for you; it can roast easily your 150 lbs and even triple that with no effort; it's also comfortable size-wise and being electrical and single-phase.
I'll be happy to give you more information if you'd like to contact me. We have several of these roasters in NY so I can also refer you to existing customers to share their experience with you.
Our site is coffee-tech.com and my mail is [email protected]

DirtyDave

Unfortunately, only drum roasters are available in the market today.
In the past, roasters had the (UNPLEASANT) option of the Sivetz air roaster (not even close to fluid bed).
Now, I believe Sivetz has retired and that POS is no longer available new.
New or used, they were a dicy proposition, requiring a huge amount of modification (if you wanted to actually control a roast).
It's as if all the auto manufacturers decided that we could all be happy driving Model T's.
So, unless you're willing to build your own (as I did), you're stuck with 19th Century technology.
Good Luck.

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Hey Brownstone,

One thing you'll probably notice is that most roasters will recommend the machine they use - afterall, that's what they know best. When we purchased our roaster 9 years ago, I did what you are doing. I asked around, to get feedback from folks with more experience than I had. I got some great advice from a guy who'd been roasting for years. I'm happy to pass it on to you.

1st, I'd contact your city, and see what their requirements are. That may eliminate some manufacturers right off the bat. Will they require an afterburner? An afterburner will add a huge amount of cost and add nothing to your production capability, so is there a way to get around that by either roasting at night (really!), or eliminating the particulates some other way. One of the best pieces of advice I got, was to find out what parts go into the machine. Some roasters are built with off-the-shelf motors, etc... While this doesn't sound sexy, it means that if something on your roaster crashes (and eventually, it will), you'll likely be able to find parts for it at the local (big) hardware store, or at the very least - Grainger.

After that, start looking around. We made the decision to buy as small a roaster as we felt we could get away with, and it's still doing the job for us. The one we chose, is a continuous batch roaster, which means that you can roast one batch while you're cooling the previous batch - that really increases your production capability, btw. It also had to be very versatile. We can load up to 40lbs, or as little as 5lbs.

Finally, once you start calling manufacturers, find out if they have sold any roasters to businesses in your area and then go talk to these folks, and see what their experience has been.

That's a good start. There are other things to think about... financing, tech support, etc...

Best of luck! There are far worse ways to make a living!!

Regards,

Dave S.