Recommendation on a new roaster??

RoninBrooklyn

May 1, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
We have an exisitng retail business that sells plenty of coffee roasted elsewhere. Looking to put in a reasonable small roaster into our store (2-10# batch). Looked at Probat Burns, Ambex, Sono Fresco, etc. Anyone have anything good to say abput any of the brands mentioned? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks!!!

Dan

Feb 27, 2012
Israel
Visit site
Hey Ronin,
First of all - best of luck. Roasting your own is, many times, the good way to go.
Since I work at a roasters manufacture I'll be fair and not say anything about ours or others.
You're more than welcome to take a look at our site, Coffee-Tech.com, or message me for some more information. I'll be glad to help you out.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Ronin, having lived in Brooklyn for a couple of years, down in the Heights, I'd be concerned more about clean air regulations thant the size/brand of the roaster. The bigger the roaster the more exhaust and smoke and the more regulation to clean your exhaust. Since there may be EPA considerations on the exhaust of the roaster you may be required to get an afterburner for smoke abatement. But the afterburner can easily cost more than the roaster!

So setp one for me would be to get that all sorted out and let that determine the size of the roaster. Unless, of course, money is not an object and you don't have to worry about size . . .

By the way, I have an Ozturk roaster (made in Turkey). Adirondak Coffee Roasters in upstate NY is the distributor. The owner is Duane Bast and he may have some insight since he's in NY.

coffeejoes

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
HelloI would go with the brand that will give you the most support. It is not an easy transition from brewing to roasting. I know from experience. The beauty of your situation is that you have a built in market. Start slowly and introduce a few coffees at a time, taking the temp.of your customers along the way. Figure out where you will get your training. Some of the manufacturers have two to three courses that basically get you started. Perhaps you have a associate that will train you more extensively. Is your current coffee considered low, middle, or excellent quality? I have roasted on Diedrich, Ambex, Probat, Us Roasters, and Geisen. I have owned Ambex and Deidrich. All of the roasters perform well but differently. Good Luck

Dan

Feb 27, 2012
Israel
Visit site
expat - clean air regulations is a smaller problem, at least when it comes to shop roasters.
We have a customer in Tribeca with one of our shop roasters attached to our electric smoke elimination system (Avirnaki) and they roast wherever they please. Apart from that, I totally agree that financial homework should be done ahead of time in order to avoid unpleasant surprises in the process.

NicolettiCoffee

Apr 5, 2012
Brooklyn, New York
Visit site
Hey!

First off Good Luck like many have passed along to you already....I own an Ambex and are extremely happy with it...went down to Florida a couple years back and really enjoyed the whole operation of them....Mine is a 30 Kilo, but I did see the smaller ones in action and really enjoyed them....I would for sure see if I could see one in person cause it might sell itself to you after seeing it...All thr best!- Aldo