Roasting Coffee

david123

May 16, 2012
Colchester UK
Visit site
I love my coffee and am thinking of roasting my own. truth is I haven,t a clue where to start. I have searched the web and found this site, so here goes.

I was wondering if you could help me get started on the right track?

I live in the UK, so anybody on this forum that can help me find suppliers here would be welcome.
meanwhile. I will be looking for a roasting machine that will do a good job and last me for a few years, and that is suitable for home roasting, the price is not a major issue (within reason).
Also coffee beans (I guess it is going to be a whole new can of worms)

(a) How long do they store for?
(b) what is the smallest amount you can buy?
(c) Can you get small sample amounts to try?
(d) Once roasted at home, what is the optimum time to use them? (The ones I buy preroasted have to last until the pack is finished).

Any other advice you could give me would be most appreciated.

for my brewing, I currently use a Rancilio Silvia and use a Rancilio Rocky grinder, which I am happy with.

Its always difficult asking for help, but I would at least hope to make a start with a few knowledgeable folk lighting the way.

Thank you in anticipation

David

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "David123"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website! You will find a lot of useful information here.

We have a lot of Forum members who have experience roasting coffee. Your questions are always welcome.

Have you found the search feature yet? Up at the right corner of your screen, you'll see the search box. Type in your topic (roasting, home roasting, etc.) and you will see a list of topic areas where we've already had some discussion. You will learn a lot just by taking a look.

Also here is a website that I like to explore, and it has a lot of information about roasting as well as how you can purchase small amounts of green beans.

Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Some say green beans will stay fresh for over a year. Many sources cater to the home roaster, selling green beans by as little as one pound incriments.Here's a list of resources to get you started. Not sure about the logistics of shipping to the UK, though.

Rose provided you with probably the best link I know of. However, here's a few more sources of beans, information and home roasting forums.

Homeroaster Association - Roast Fresh Coffee at Home

Happy Mug Coffee Co.

The Captains Coffee - Green Coffee Beans - Home Roasting Supplies - How-To Articles

Roastmasters.com - Guide to our site

david123

May 16, 2012
Colchester UK
Visit site
Hi Pinkrose and Eldub

Thanks for your swift reply.

I did look at the search facility, but it came back with mainly people that wanted to roast larger quantities than me. I was looking at " the The Behmor home coffee roaster " I have read some reviews but would like to hear from somebody that uses one at home. Also I can't seem to be able to find a supplier here in the UK.
Perhaps my computer skills are a bit lacking.

also thanks for the links, I will follow them up :coffee:

David

david123

May 16, 2012
Colchester UK
Visit site
Hi Dan
It sounds the sort of thing that I would love to try :coffee:, but with my roasting expertise (none) I think I had better start with something a little more idiot proof lol.

thanks for the link though.

David

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
David, take a look at Sweet Marias (google them) I think you'll find them right up your alley.

If you happen to live in the U.K. try Has Bean.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
David, sorry I should have read your post closer. You are in the UK so definitely take a look at the Has Bean website. They are up above Birmingham and ship all over. They also offer a 10 day (free) email course on all things coffee. In fact I'd recommend it to everyone.

david123

May 16, 2012
Colchester UK
Visit site
Hi expat
Since my last post I have been doing a lot more research and am now looking at the "Gene Café" roaster. Funnily enough I did ring Steve at "Has Bean" but they have no roasters in stock at the moment. A friend of mine also mentioned them, I perhaps will be contacting them when I am ready to order my beans.

Thanks for the reply

David

RichHelms

May 14, 2012
Visit site
if you want to read about roasting read

Home Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival (Paperback)
by Kenneth Davids (Author)

It is the most popular of the home roasting intros. It is the one I started with.

RichHelms

May 14, 2012
Visit site
A few answers

(a) How long do they store for? Green coffee can be stored for a year. Keep in a sealed plastic container

(b) what is the smallest amount you can buy? Usually a pound. You want enough to do a few roasts as it will take a few to discover the coffee's characteristics and what kind of roast it prefers.
(c) Can you get small sample amounts to try? Absolutely. Also if you have local boutique roasters check with them. They often will sell green coffee if asked.
(d) Once roasted at home, what is the optimum time to use them? (The ones I buy preroasted have to last until the pack is finished). One week. After roasting coffee needs to rest. 24 hours is the most common resting time. Some will need as much as 48 hours. Again try it. You can make coffee with freshly roasted beans. Will taste brighter than if you let it rest.

david123

May 16, 2012
Colchester UK
Visit site
if you want to read about roasting read

Home Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival (Paperback)
by Kenneth Davids (Author)

It is the most popular of the home roasting intros. It is the one I started with.

Thanks for all the above.

I have had a look and ordered a copy of the book. All the ratings I have read are good

Thanks again

David

Last edited: