Ambex Ym-15: Deep Maintenance

sdelgran

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up an Ambex YM-15 from 2003 and as an upgrade from my smaller (but beloved) Primo TT-EC. Let's say the Ambex is in OK condition but well seasoned. I have a few maintenance questions as I am stripping the roaster down. (Sorry for the bad pictures so far. I only had my phone with me.)

This is the bad boy:

imag0526ze.jpg

Like I said it may need a bit of cleaning. Here are some details:

imag0527.jpg

imag0528p.jpg

imag0529a.jpg

imag0530a.jpg

imag0531k.jpg

The previous owner did a paint job because the paint started peeling after several fires in the roaster. I want to address that too. Not sure yet where to get an exact match for the paint though. Any thoughts?

imag0532.jpg

imag0533ia.jpg

I started scraping under the cooling tray. There is about 1/2 inch of solid gunk all around. I thought I would be just as easy to take the cooling tray apart. I ran out of time after I removed the stainless steel belt which should have not have been my first priority but I had someone helping with the stainless steel cleaning...

imag0538t.jpg

I also noticed a bump under the edge of the stainless steel mantle. I suspected rust so I removed the mantle:

imag0542cw.jpg

imag0544v.jpg

imag0545.jpg

Looking at the drum, one can see distinct black marks. My theory is that it corresponds to clogged jets. I am correct? Should I just review all the jets? (sorry for the bad pictures).

imag0548vv.jpg

imag0549h.jpg

imag0550m.jpg

The V-Belts definitely need changing and I am thinking of going for "Power Twist". I read Lumberjack recommending it... Any thoughts?

Anyway, this is just the beginning. I will post some more as I carry on in a few days.

Thanks for reading!