Packaging Coffee Beans

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Greetings from Iowa.

Things are progressing. We now have a spot for our new roaster. The organic certification application was turned in yesterday. Flooring for the front of the shop was purchased today. Paint colors are being discussed and should be finalized in the next couple of days. The roaster should be here in two weeks or so. I'm hoping to get the paint and flooring finished at least in the production area by then.

I'm curious as to how you professional roasters are packaging your beans. We plan on starting out weighing and packaging by hand. However, I hope to reach a point where we are roasting enough beans to justify automating the packaging process.

Any recommendations on packaging machines or techniques for a small, boutique roaster would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Coffee4all

Jun 16, 2012
Drachten
Visit site
Hi Scott,

A lot of new roasters start of in paper bags or in cans. Both are easily to costumise and in a lot of different sizes.
my 1 cts.

Daniël Dijkstra, Drachten, the Netherlands

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Daniel.

We will mainly be using Kraft paper bags. Have been considering using small paint cans for locals to purchase and then get discounts for reuse.

Where is Drachten? I have relatives in Friesland.

lw

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
After stealing, time to give a little.

You're no doubt aware of this but if not, I have seen some folks packaging in kraft bags just use a big rubber stamp for their labeling. $30 for the stamp and a big ink pad and you're in business. It is nice for conveying a 'home made' look. You can also use different color inks to achieve different looks or differnt colors for different types of coffee. You'd have to experiment to see how your bags take the ink.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We had a graphic design person put together a label for us. We've been considering stamping the origin of the coffee beans or name of the blend on the bag. Another idea is to print stickers with the names of all the origins/blends and apply below the label.

As of now, we'll be weighing and then filling the bags with beans by hand. pretty labor intensive, but probably the way to go with a stat-up venture.

lw

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Maybe you've got one of these but if not you've gotta' have the Rattleware bean scale scoop. You can buy it from Espresso Parts. We weight and bag by hand and I'd be lost without this scoop.

Set it on the scale. Tare the scale to 0. Fill the scoop to your desired bag weight. Pour into the bag via the round end. Repeat.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, expat. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I'll be McGoogling that scoop as soon as I finish this post......

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
As to bags I'd like to buy from the U.S. because prices are cheaper but I buy from the U.K. because shipping is way less and the import tax from the U.S. to Ireland is 23%. Ugh!

But you're in the U.S. so I'll tell you that I found great pricing for coffee bags at Pack Plus Converting. Their web address is packplus dot com