trying to figure out which roaster to get for a small commercial operation

wilsonfisk

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a reoccurring topic on this board but the previous posts didnt really address my problem... trying to pick a roaster. my goal is to start roasting 10-20lbs per week. Ideally i want a drum roaster. I have a warehouse space that i can use for the roaster (ventilation, slop sink, etc won't be a problem) so I can run either an electric or propane machine. I am torn on if i should start small with a hottop or jump right in to a machine that can handle 1 to 2lb per roast, maybe a sample machine? Budget is not a concern right now (i'd like to keep it under 5k, used or new). I would also prefer something table top. I know most of the big names - toper, diedrich, ambex... any suggestions for a machine to look at?

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I would go with an Ambex or a Toper 2 kilo. I have used both and loved them equally. I also used a 1 kilo sample roaster that was electric that I hated....

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
If you're roasting 40-80 lbs. of coffee a month the hot top is out. Fuggedaboudit!

Listen to Topher and get a larger roaster. And I'm biased, but I'd lean toward a propane machine instead of electric.

In the movie The Hunt for Red October the captain of the aircraft carrier tells Alec Baldwin, "The Russians don't take a dump son, without a plan." Crude, yes. But wise. (And apologies, I don't mean to offend.). So what's your plan? Where are you going with this? If you're roasting 10 to 20 pounds of coffee per week you'd be the rare person, very rare, who would be drinking that all yourself. So someone else is drinking the coffee too.

Are you giving it away? Selling it?

If selling it, and you get a following, where are you going from there?

Also if you get a 2kg roaster how small of sample batch can you roast? If you can get it down to 100g to 250g (and you may need to do some gas adjustments for the smaller roast) that would be great. If you burn up some beans you didn't lose much and it also gives you a large enough sample for tasting straight or blending.

wilsonfisk

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the input guys.

i plan on selling it, thats why i stated it was for a small commercial operation. my main concern was going a little too big too fast. my plan was to start out with a small roaster and only roast 10-20lbs a week. if i did gain a following, go bigger. what i am seeing now is, i might as well go with a bigger machine.

the ones im currently eyeing are the toper cafemino, ambex ym2 and the ozturk ok2. i havent read much on the probatino but the things i have read have been complaints :\

Dan

Feb 27, 2012
Israel
Visit site
Solar & Torrefattore

Hi wilsonfisk,

I'm from Coffee-Tech Engineering, from Israel.
I just wanted to add that you might also consider our 2Kg shop roasters - Solar & Torrefattore.
If you want you're more than welcome to contact me, here or privately, for more information.
We've got more than 1000 of these roasters placed around the world, the states included, with greatly satisfied customers.
In any case, whether it be with us or without us, best of luck with your venture.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
I would look at the Roaster Authority machine; they have free training. Having adjustable gas and air flow is a nice plus if you want to play around with profiles and learn about roasting. But then an automatic machine might be what your after or one with a digital control gas valve. I can see where repeat ability would be easier with the latter. Just my 2 cents.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Money. I think that's the biggest issue (seems like it always is!).

How much money can you spend on your roaster (and depending on area and EPA regs maybe an afterburner)? What features would you like? What are must haves and what are like to haves? What size do you think will be best for you? Oh, and when calculating what you can spend on your roaster don't forget everything else too -- grinder(s), sealers, scales, piping, wiring, bean inventory, bags, labels, storage bins, work tables, permits, etc., etc.

Back to the roaster . . . Now make a matrix of roaster features, and prices, and sizes and see what you can afford. Maybe you can get what you want, maybe you'll have to compromise a bit.

We started with an Ozturk 10kg roaster. Because of issues related to roasting small batches in a large roaster maybe we should have started with a 5kg, or even a 3kg, but then sales quickly made us glad to have the 10kg.

Hankua mentioned machines with "adjustable gas and air flow" and "an automatic machine might be what your after or one with a digital control gas valve".

You may want that control but it probably comes at a price. But maybe that means burning less beans while you're learning the ins-and-outs of your machine. Of course burning up some beans means that you are learning! Just be sure to apply the lessons.

Then if you are stating out and have a big roaster, but only need to roast small batches, you've got a challenge on your hands. This isn't a big challenge to experienced roasters but to newbies it can present problems . . . or opportunities to learn depending on your point of view.

Finally the bells and whistles you can get on your roaster are endless. But there are guys roasting with 20 year old machines, with no bells and whistles, and they're putting out a better product than folks with the most sophisticated roasters. So don't fall in love with all the technology, focus on getting a solid machine and then really working on the art and craft of roasting.

Last edited:

wilsonfisk

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
it's really between the roaster authority victory 2 and the ozturk 1 or 2 kilo roaster. diedrich, toper and san franciscan are a bit more than what i wanted to spend going at this for the first time.

JohnAcken

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
our coffee roaster

hi mate, at present we have an ad selling coffee roasters on ebay, you may give it a check out, simply search "coffee roaster" on ebay australia, you ll see the ad. thanks. :p