Packaging roasted coffee for friends

j0000

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I roast coffee for myself at home, but recently some friends have started asking for some that don't live close by. If I were to mail them some coffee, what would the best easily accessible way to do it? I don't think buying a big carton of valved bags is appropriate for sending a couple pounds out. I was thinking ziploc bags inside a paperbag. My thinking is the ziploc bag will keep the air out, the paperbag will protect the plastic and as soon as they receive it, they will store it in their own containers. Is it worth it to attempt to remove the air in the plastic bags before closing them? I would guess the roasted beans will be in this packaging for 4-5 days at the most. I usually let my roasted beans rest for a day before doing anything with them, but for this purpose should I just package them immediately?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello j000 and welcome;
Most definately just package them as soon as they are cool after roasting..............
Did this once and left the packaged coffee in car overnight and when I went to the car next morning it was like someone used the coffee beans as confetti inside car.
If you package them the next morning in a ziplock bag (freezer bags will be thicker) and get as much air out as possible and then into another bag that should be ok. Try to get them to your friends as soon as possible.
Brian

blackandstrong

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I get bags at happymugcoffee the 1/4 bags with a valve are 16 cents each. The pound bags with valve are 25 cents. That's the cheapest I've found anywhere. But before that, I used to put them in cotton bags, which had a nice look to it, and I think they were around 30 cents.

If you put them in something without a valve -- wait 2 days before packaging them. By then most of the degassing will be done. It might puff up a little bit, but it shouldn't explode.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Put it in a zip lock bag. Take a sewing needle and poke one hole in the bag. That's enough. Poke the hole it in the bottom seam and no one will see the hole (if you care about that). That's enough to let the gas out. Stick it in a brown envelope and drop it in the mail.