Guatemalan Quiche/"Chajulense"

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Out of all of the single origin beans we purchased recently, the only one I didn't care for was the Guatemalan from Quiche. Roasted to medium; (420*) it was just too thin and acidic for my tastes. Just when I decided I'd wasted some money on that sack of beans, I decided to roast a batch up a bit darker. So I took a few pounds up to 440* the other day and was blown away by the results. This Guat. developed a full bodied elegance at the higher roasting temp. The acidity was toned down and the nutty flavor that developed now lingers on the palate nicely. Still nothing heavy or fat about this bean; just a smooth flavor profile from the front of the teeth to the back of the throat. I really like this bean now.

Anyone else have a similar experience with any roasting project?

lw

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah. Problem with my current roaster is that it has very limited adjustability, temp only, and it's unstable. So there's a pretty narrow range for me to work in. When I cup coffees, I obviously choose the one that tastes best, but moreover, it's the one that tastes best in my roaster. I've bought a highly recommended coffee sight unseen once or twice and simply been unable to attain the required profile. Oops. Also, I've cupped the 6oz sample, but when I received the coffee, and tried roasting full batches, I could not match the same flavor due to the altered roast dynamics of the larger load. Double oops.

But in general, I have definitely had coffees that made me say 'oh crap, I screwed up', but upon further tinkering, been floored by the awesomeness. :D