What are they ?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
That is called "tipping." It is caused by bringing up the initial temps too high too quickly. I'm told its mostly a cosmetic issue, but I avoid it, as we sell beans wholesale and I want to make a good impression with clients both taste-wise and visually.

How long are your roasts going?

What temps are you starting/finishing at?

How many pounds of beans are you roasting at a time?

We try to lower the bean temps to 230-250* after introducing the beans into the barrel. Then when the temp has bottomed out, we add gas to raise the temps no more than a degree every three seconds. (20 degrees/minute.) That should be a good starting point.

I keep a chart handy to give me an idea on when I should be at specific temps along the way. If I get behind, I add gas, if I get ahead of schedule, I ease back a bit. A stop watch is a must for me. When I'm hitting my marks, it usually means the beans are going up about 1* every three seconds, as mentioned above.

Good luck.

Scott

tabunge

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for writing back. I was under the impression that "tipping" occurred when charging at high temps. These "plates" pop off toward the end of the roast. I'm roasting 21lbs @ each roast. Starting temp : 270•
Finishing temp: 435•. Total roast time about 15:00 Thank you TED

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Tipping is when the top and bottom of the bean starts to burn...hence "tip"ing We discussed this before. What you are experiencing is from what I have heard is that its moisture popping out...I could be wrong but called my buddy who is a green broker and he says that would be his guess as well. thoughts?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I was just going by what our roaster manufacturer called the "plates" popping off. The very first, (cheap beans) test batch run through our machine had that characteristic. Luckily we haven't seen it since.

Your definition sounds more logical.

farmroast

Jun 8, 2007
Amherst, MA.
Visit site
They are commonly called divots. Too high MET during the finish. The BT RoR is too fast. Softer lower altitude beans seem more susceptible to divots and harder are more likely to show just tipping of the ends and lips by the split skin or with a DP or PN scorching. Can happen from 1st cr on but more often in 2nd cr. Some say excessively high charge temps or over drying can damage and make them more vulnerable.

Last edited:

tabunge

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everybody. Never the less, it sounds like I should not be concerned about it effecting the outcome. I was also told that it was a mould that accrued just under the outside of the bean during drying. Killed off, but leaving the "shell" weak hence popping off when heat is applied. thoughts? anyone '

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, mon.

270* sounds like too high a starting temp to me. I'm guessing the air temp inside the barrel is too high to allow the bean temps to drop properly. Especially if you are only getting down to 270* with 21 lbs. of beans.

Today I was roasting 18 lb batches and starting off at 380*. The bean temp dropped to about 230* after charging. Air temps in the barrel were running at just over 300* post-charge. Two inches of gas pressure got the bean temps moving upward a few minutes into the roast. The bean temp reached 300* 6 minutes or so in. (I never let the ambient temps get much over 400*.) At 380* I started to coast by letting up on the gas. On my 440* roasts, the beans were taking 5-6 minutes to cover the last 60*. In the end, the air temps in the barrel were a bit lower than the bean temps but the bean temps kept climbing to finish in 15-16 minutes.

The sidamo had its blueberry character back by following the above schedule, according to initial cupping results.

I was previously slightly burning Brazilian beans when roasting small batches to 450*. (3-4 lbs.) Larger batches are easier to control, imo.

farmroast

Jun 8, 2007
Amherst, MA.
Visit site
Thanks everybody. Never the less, it sounds like I should not be concerned about it effecting the outcome. I was also told that it was a mould that accrued just under the outside of the bean during drying. Killed off, but leaving the "shell" weak hence popping off when heat is applied. thoughts? anyone '
Never have heard that reason. When I've had a few divots I've always been a little hot.

Latest posts