How many pounds of beans a day does a small town coffee shop use?

wrestingking

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping to open a coffee shop in my town and was curious on how many pounds of coffee beans some other small town shops use in a day because i'm thinking about roasting my own but unsure what to expect and if i would be able to keep up. Thank you.

ChopShopCoffee

Dec 6, 2012
Tukwila,WA
Visit site
Well I am not in a small town but my stand is slow going because of change of ownership and rebuilding a good rep....soo I would say I might be comparable. I go through a 5lb bag a day! I hope this helps!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Five pounds of beans would make roughly fifteen gallons of drip brew. That would be about 160 12 oz cups of joe. (However, I'm sure csc is making espressos as well and they use more coffee/cup than a drip maker.)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm wondering how much of the brewed coffee that's made from the five pounds of beans gets tossed out during the day?

Some places dump the old, stale coffee and brew a new batch every hour or so.

ChopShopCoffee

Dec 6, 2012
Tukwila,WA
Visit site
I dont do drip yet but will be soon cause ALOT of people ask for it. Anyway as far as how many cups do I sell that's something I would have to add up LOL I will get back to you in a minute on that cause as of right now I am still trying to wake up=)

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I am one of the very small town with population of less then 10,000 people.
We sell around 300 cups a day and we use around 10-12 pounds of coffee per day.
My espresso sale is much higher....

I hope this helps...

Annette

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I am just starting out, and need a little help. I am trying to do financials for business plan and i am not sure how to figure out what expected sales would be. I will be directly across from a high school with 2000 students. The traffic count at the corner light (directly in front of me) was about 17,800 cars per day in 2010. I have cost per drink information, but not sure how to estimate how many of each drink I should anticipate selling each day. Any help would be appreciated.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Annette and welcome;
The vehicles going by your front door going or coming from downtown in the morning rush hour or are they going the other direction totally. In other words is your entrance facing east with downtown(or other major employer) being south of your business with that road being north/south? This would be the ideal situation because most people are convenience driven and will not wanna cross traffic to get a cup of coffee. This will dramatically change your numbers, and if it is not this situation I would question whether it is viable or not.
Brian

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with brian. Spend extra to have bettet location. Location, location, location. My coffee house is next to elementary school and we sold over 150cups in the after noon between three and four in the after noon firsg year....