Coffee Shop Planning

MommaLovesCoffee

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My husband and I have decided to open a coffee shop. But before we can really get started, we are stuck on choosing a name. We would like to have our foundation being that this is owned and operated by Christians, but yet keep it open to non-believers as well. We want a family oriented and inviting place that enables people to feel comfortable. Any suggestions on names?

Right now we have

The Beacon
Light Latte
Good Knight Cafe
Grounded Grounds
Grounded Lounge
and some others...

Thanks for the input... MommaLovesCoffee:heart:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
1. Make the name simple.
2. Catchy
3. Easy to remember.
4. That describes you.

My idea includes.

Jes Cafe
Mighty Great Coffee
Cafe G.O.D
Noah's Cafe

Just few I would use if I had to open another....

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
There is a Christian coffee shop in our neighborhood that plays "christian faith" music on their stereo and it does alienate a portion of potential customers. (I know this because people come to our roasterie and complain about it.) I'm pretty sure many of those folks coming to our place and venting wouldn't have entered the door of the cafe in question if they advertised their faith on their store front.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "MommaLovesCoffee"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I don't think it's necessary to select a name that advertises that you're Christians, unless you plan to hold Bible readings and prayer group sessions at your cafe. No matter what name you come up with, if you operate your business is a Christian-like manner, (exhibiting honesty, dignity, respect, etc.) you will attract and keep good customers. However, if you start the Bible thumping that turns people off, you'll certainly lose customers (both Christians and non-Christians).

Rose

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had spent more time on branding. That being said, there is a lot more things that are more pressing now. Coffee concept is important and it sounds like you have theme but not quality or style of coffee house

Light Latte
Good Knight Cafe
Light latte sounds healthy
good knight I associate with good night and reminds me of sleeping. This association seems counterintuitive for a coffee shop

BEST of luck

johnDavis20

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello MommaLovesCoffee,

I think you have to select a name that will fits to all. When selecting on it be sure that is simple, unique, and a high catch to all people who can read on it.
Hoping for your future success!!!

John Davis

Flatron

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
The downside of going with a "one name fits all" is that you may still have customers feeling deceived upon discovering that you're a religious-oriented coffee. And when it comes to this, as a client I'd rather know whom I'm dealing with and giving my money to.

In your case and in your country (assuming you're from USA), I see nothing wrong with opening an overtly (and overly) religious business. Again, better be aware of that than being "tricked" into it. But you gotta have enough potential religious customers.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
How about:

Cup of Jo...b

Haha

Or, a là the New Testament book, "HeBrews"?! If you really wanna be explicitly Christian, and excessively dorky, go with "Jesus Java" or "Heavenly Grounds". (Please don't...) Maybe something apocalyptic like, "Devil's Demise" or "Coffee Revelation"?

Actually, we are looking to doing something similar but we are being careful to not be explicitly Christian in the name and are looking to give away 100% of profits. So, as an agent of change in peoples' day (i.e., caffeine) and in our community, we're calling it Catalyst Coffee.

Ldgbr

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
There is a shop in my local area that is owned and run by a small ministry. Very nice and creative design whose name fits perfectly. "Wholy Ground"

joeltheconner

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
We have a shop by us called "Sacred Grounds." They are not Christians (at least, they do not advertise to be), but it is a killer name. I just wish I had come up with it first. :)

As a Christian myself, I understand your desire for a name appealing to other Christians. As has been said, though, by doing that you will definitely alienate potential customers. People don't want to be preached at, and if I was not a Christian, I would definitely never go into a shop that overtly proclaimed itself to be. Heck, I AM a Christian, I still would likely avoid a shop like that for fear that I would be assaulted by someone wanting to unnecessarily save me when all I want to do is have a coffee and read the paper.

Besides, my opinion is that if you want to minister to people, just have a normal shop and treat people better and more lovingly than any other place in the city. Make people know you care for them...not just that you want to Christianize them.