New coffee shop

SteveO

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm investigating opening a business in an upscale area of a Lexington, NC. The place would include a coffee shop as well as a couple of other businesses - probably a gift/art shop that specializes in local or regional artists, and a retail plant nursery. I'm thinking of a relaxed atmosphere to drink coffee and maybe browse through a variety of high quality home and garden décor and plants. A bakery and/or café would probably do well in the blend as well. I don't plan to run all the businesses - I'd probably run the coffee shop and lease to the others.
My wife and I love to visit coffee shops, so we've seen a good number in different places. And while I'm certainly not an expert, I know coffee to some extent. The general area has several small coffee roasters, so getting good quality, fresh roasted coffee would not be a problem.
So I'd love to hear any advice that experienced members on here have for me. Any basic do's and don’ts? Any resources that are worth checking out? If this topic has already been thoroughly covered in another thread that I haven't found, please direct me to it.

Thanks!!!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
The location location location..... Did I mention location? Please do not compromise the location. There is the reason across the street is 10 dollars per square foot cheaper.... The coffee house is all about convenience and good location. If you have the best location you will most like to have the best coffee house in town. For example: Starbucks coffee.... If the location would work for starbucks, it will work for you too..... Good Luck

SteveO

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the location I'm looking at is actually very good - in a brand-new retail development, at the intersection of two pretty main roads, near a country club and upscale neighborhoods, with no other coffee shop or cafe in the area. The only downside is that I would have some road frontage, but not a lot. And it would be on the smaller of the two roads. But there would be a couple entrances into the retail development fom the main road. And I'm trying to create a relaxed, "vacation-like" environment, so I suspect that being away from the traffic of the main entrance might be good.

Does anyone have any experience with combining a coffee shop with a gift shop and/or a retail nursery?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
make sure your shop is going to be located same side of morning traffic.... I don't know how your building located but people will not make left turn into your coffee shop to get a cup of coffee...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You Coffeejunky....its funny you say that. I roast for a bagel chain. My roastery is attached to our original bagel shop. The location...well the location does killer business. The location isn't that good though. My boss did that on purpose. He said he could have put it in a great location and done a killer business...he put it in this location to prove that people will come for great product. (It's a great selling point for our potential franchisees.) If you are headed north on the street you have to pass it and do a Uturn to get to the location. We did over 800 covers today on a Friday. Not to shabby for a bad location ;)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It would have to be exceptionally good coffee in order for me to make a left or U-Turn to get it. Plus, I'd have to cross over traffic or make another U-Turn to go back in the direction I was heading. I don't think I'd ever want a cup of coffee enough to go through that every day.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Usually people would not. I am thinking what if they were located in very convenient location? They would do 1000? 1200? a day??? maybe??? I guess we will never know.... lol.. When I took over this coffee house, we were only doing around 300-350 with normal coffee. Nothing exceptional about it but now we are up to around 500. We are serving very good coffee now and I am hoping to be around 600-650 by end of this year.

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's a great point/observation CJ and I suspect it crosses all genres; I will surely remember that if I should venture into the carry-out business.

:)

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I not saying Topher is totally wrong. They have different motive to open a not a ideal location. But as a independent owner, you can't afford to fail. This is the reason you have to open with the best location. With the best location, you have more then 50 percent chance of failing....

Good luck ...

SteveO

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Really appreciate the discussion. I think the location passes muster, but I'll look it over again to be sure. So great location + great coffee + great service = 50% chance of success? How do I improve those odds?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
1. Know many people in town and let them know about your new coffee house with great concept.
2. See if you can find the restaurant to carry your coffee.
3. Try to supply some office coffee.
4. DO tons of coupons like buy one get second one free to all the restaurants, library, and book stores....Coupons for the espresso base drinks and high priced drinks.
These are the few things that would help you to increase the traffic to your coffee shop...

Last edited:

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Really appreciate the discussion. I think the location passes muster, but I'll look it over again to be sure. So great location + great coffee + great service = 50% chance of success? How do I improve those odds?

The old fashion way of "Prayer" if you believe in God of course. I know that's a touchy area for many :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Transactions. This season has been insane! The bagel shop has had a line out the door for 3 weeks straight! Every year it gets busier...can't wait to see how insane it will be next season!