Goal - open a coffee shop / roastery by end of 2013

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello -

So I've had several ideas floating around for awhile. I'm ready to commit and start taking some major actions
- open a small coffee shop 400-1000 square feet
- simple drink menu with very light food offering
- roast on site
- 12-15 seats inside and out
- equipment will look like custom 2 group espresso machine, 3 Mazzer grinders, a Ditting grinder, hot water tower, manual brew equipment, ice machine, under counter fridge one prep fridge, and a reach in, ice bin, and cooling pan for milks.
- construct build out with as much repurposed materials as possible

- whole bean sales goal is to cover rent
- roast 50% of in house coffee used
- pay off in 6 months
- open by August

Currently starting at ground level
- no roasting experience
- no money
- no investors
- no business plan

Welcome to all thoughts and feedback

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
1. Secure at least $25,000.
2. Find the building owner who will be your partner for rent
3. Get your business done asap.
4. Find the roaster who will show you things and buy the roast way later.... Use the reputable whole sale roaster until you are enough money and experience to roast.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I think you have enough experience in the coffee business to take on this challenge, Senor Shave.

My suggestion would be to find a roaster manufacturer who will show you the basics of roasting. Then take a couple of months to perfect your technique/blends. You might consider selling someone else's beans during that transitional period.

Another option to get you going a bit faster would be to hire a roaster to help you learn the ropes. Its not that difficult to learn the theory of roasting beans, but there are some subtle variances between roast levels and bean origins that take a bit of practice.

You can do it, mon.....

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
1) Adjust your goal until end of 2014

2) Secure at least $75k

3) Invest in roasting classes/seminars -- Willem Boot, probably best instructor in the business, comes to mind.

4) While doing the above, find at least three suitable spaces, negotiate, find the one that works best for you.

5) Do everything else that you would normally do while opening a shop, and do it well.

6) Know it's better to take until July 2015, than to do it wrong.

7) Eat some ice cream, and have a beer. Ice cream and beer are gooood!8)

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
1. Secure at least $25,000.
2. Find the building owner who will be your partner for rent
3. Get your business done asap.
4. Find the roaster who will show you things and buy the roast way later.... Use the reputable whole sale roaster until you are enough money and experience to roast.

Step 4 is complete - we have purchased a roaster
We also have a solid relationship with Dillanos, Stumptown, as well a local roaster

I think you have enough experience in the coffee business to take on this challenge, Senor Shave.

My suggestion would be to find a roaster manufacturer who will show you the basics of roasting. Then take a couple of months to perfect your technique/blends. You might consider selling someone else's beans during that transitional period.

Another option to get you going a bit faster would be to hire a roaster to help you learn the ropes. Its not that difficult to learn the theory of roasting beans, but there are some subtle variances between roast levels and bean origins that take a bit of practice.

You can do it, mon.....

Thanks for the support. The number of passionate roasters is far and few out here. I’m not opposed to travelling, and do quite frequently, however it really isn’t a realistic solution.

But with no money and no business plan seem little odd that is coming from you Shave.....

I just wanted a visual. This helps me stay accountable

1) Adjust your goal until end of 2014

2) Secure at least $75k

3) Invest in roasting classes/seminars -- Willem Boot, probably best instructor in the business, comes to mind.

4) While doing the above, find at least three suitable spaces, negotiate, find the one that works best for you.

5) Do everything else that you would normally do while opening a shop, and do it well.

6) Know it's better to take until July 2015, than to do it wrong.

7) Eat some ice cream, and have a beer. Ice cream and beer are gooood!
clip_image002.png

Agreed. I have walked 5 locations so far and searched countless others online. There is one I really like and think it will do exceptionally well. Of course I’m not ready to pull the trigger on 1,200 square feet $7,000+ a month.

2. Do you think $75k cash on hand can be replaced by a healthy cash flow?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
If you have a healthy relationship with a local roaster, maybe he/she would be willing to show you the ropes. Btw, I never suggested that you travel anywhere. I think it would be better to bring in a person to show you how to be successful on the roaster you have apparently already purchased.

Btw, which roaster did you buy?

scott

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I jumped to the assumption if I was going to meet with a roaster I would be visiting them, didn't think about someone visiting me
Nice point

Attachment-1.jpg
Was posted on here a few weeks ago
'86 L5 Probat

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Mr Shave: I'm curious as to why you wouldn't be thinking about roasting all of the coffee served in your shop instead of the 60% mentioned above?

Btw, that looks like a nice roaster.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Congrats on your purchase...looks nice! I agree with Eldub...bring someone in. Learn on your machine not theirs! If you have any questions we are all here to help! ;)

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Updates
There is no lease signed, right now doing feasibility study.
Unit – took measure of interior and having drawn up in autocad.

Gas company checked meter for property. There is a meter very close, will be working on getting a quote from several plumbers on gas line.

DOH (Department of Health) – picked up info packet and plan submission paperwork. Checked on a couple of issues regarding the roaster I wasn’t sure of.

Non-coffee equipment – getting quotes
Coffee equipment – getting quotes
Financing – submitted all of our documents and waiting to hear back. Loan is expensive and almost MCA but different. Is it true, you have to pay to play?

Mr Shave: I'm curious as to why you wouldn't be thinking about roasting all of the coffee served in your shop instead of the 60% mentioned above?

Btw, that looks like a nice roaster.

Some of the coffees we bring in, I really like an am happy with. Shipping LTL containers to Hawaii reduces some of the economic advantages of roasting in house. Ideally, we will focus on Hawaiian coffees.

I thought you said you had no money.... how the hell did you get that? In barter??? Joke....

Nice grab... Love to get one of those myself....

Good Luck!!!!!!

THAT is why we have no money LOL Bought it with the charge card. 50% paid off, balance will be paid off by EOM :/

Roaster should be here in a couple weeks. I haven't actually seen it in person, I'll post some pics when it arrives

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I am sure you have done your home work and I am also confident that you made the correct choice to start your own business..... Welcome aboard of owning your own coffee business. We look forward to share more experiences with you...

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
CJ: Shave already owns his own coffee business.

Shave: It sounds like you are currently buying roasted beans from around the world. Are they roasted in hawaii or imported already roasted? It would seem to me that the cost of importing green beans should be partially offset by roasting them in house.

Would it be possible to just offer hawaiian beans?