Is Drive-Thru really necessary?

JavaJoe

Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
I am about to close on fiinancing for my first franchised coffee shop! I am also close to finalizing the lease.

My location is an end-unit in a small strip mall. It is very visible for morning commuters. The only problem is there will be no drive-thru. Is this really a big factor? Will people park and get out of their car on the way to work for a cup of coffee?

My rent is about $5,000 per month, so I will need steady patronage to the shop.

Thanks for your advice!!!

ldockall

May 27, 2004
Visit site
A lot will depend on the type of customer you are targeting. If it is on a busy street and I'm on my way to work, I won't take the time to get out of my vehicle in the mornings. If I'm not in a rush, I'll get out for a cup. So, if the majority of your customers are drivers with a destination I would think a drive-thru would be important.

sip of seattle

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
drive thru?

I am the owner of a drive thru coffeeshop and I would advise you to put a drive up window in your business if it is at all possible. If it is located in the end unit you could put it in the side if there is drive up capability. In my estimation, you will lose many customers due to their time restraints during the AM commute.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Both are good observations. Fact of the matter is, drive thrus became popular because of convenience (McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc.). Nowadays everybody virtually lives in their vehicles, rather they are going to or coming from work, etc. When you take time into consideration, it makes since to do a drive thru than it does for a sit down, and considerably less expense. I agree with Sip of Seattle that if you are located in a strip mall location and can add a drive thru window I would do that. Meaning that you can cater to both customers. One being for those who do have the time to get out and park, and the ease for the others who can only drive through. Sip of Seattle What a great name :D

JavaJoe

Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
Unfortunately, this location does not allow a drive-through. Other than that, it is a wonderful location. Actually, the franchise that I am buying, Barnie's, only has one drive-through concept. I am just wondering if I should try to lease elsewhere, or if a drive-through is not really a deal-breaker.

Thanks!

Lisa

I agree ~ a drive thru is very important. I know I don't want to stop and get out of my car to get my latte in the morning.
I'm planning to open a drive thru in New Jersey. Not sure exactly when yet, but am in the process of researching and learning.
Sip of Seattle is an awesome name ~ I'm sure I'll be talking to you again in the near future.
Lisa