Spreadsheet for startup

sonewcoffee

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Would anyone have or know where to get a spredsheet where I can enter my info in to get a sense of what my breakeven would be, total start up costs, how to allocate my fixed and variable costs, etc?!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure something is prolly out there, but you should be able to get the answers you are looking for without the help of a computer, imo. The spreadsheet will only be as useful as the data you enter. And if you have the numbers to plug in, you should be able to make all of the desired calculations without the aid of a spreadsheet, unless I'm missing something here......

lw

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Btw..... If you want to post any of the numbers/projections in this thread, I'm sure there are a few of us who would be willing to go through them with you. I'm guessing there are others who could benefit from the exercise.

sonewcoffee

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I dont have a spreadsheet set up yet. I am actually working on that, but thought prhaps someone here already had a good one that they use. It will take me a while to perfect/revise one, so I was hoping not to reinvent the wheel

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello sonewcoffee and welcome,
I think that every store/coffeehouse spreadsheet would differ depending on a number of factors. I don't see any 2 being the same. Different rents, cost of goods, wages, expected revenue, equipment etc. The only thing that a spreadsheet would give you is the basic catagories. You must understand the basics of the business and all the different parameters needed and customize to your specific needs. I'm sorry that I don't have such a basic thing but hopefully someone here has one or you can find one on the internet.
Brian

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
Hello sonewcoffee,
Here is a book that I found quite helpful. It has a lot of information to think about and you can get it on Amazon for around $12.00.
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Starting And Running A Coffeebar" 51elcP0XavL._SS500_.jpg
I hope this helps.

Jerry

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I guess I don't understand the concept of a digital spreadsheet for this application.

As Brian mentioned above, about the only use I can come up is a way to format the information that you plug into the columns. I really can't imagine finding a spreadsheet that could provide the figures for rent, equipment costs, etc. Every business plan would have different figures, depending on way too many factors to standardize, imo.

As far as "allocating" fixed and variable costs... Your fixed costs are just that: Rent/lease, wages, utilities, insurance, telephone, etc. Your variable costs fluctuate mostly on volume of business. (My variable costs are green beans, cups, lids, straws, bags, etc.) The driver of the variable costs would be be different levels of forecasted sales.

If I were you, I'd add up the cost of setting up the shop, (equipment, furnishings, initial supplies, etc.) to come up with a number representing the capital investment needed to launch the business. Then I'd lay out all of the fixed costs associated with the month to month operation of the business (rent, utilities, telephone, bank loan, etc.) Its then possible to calculate a sales/revenue level necessary to break even by adding the variable costs associated with specific levels of merchandise sold to the fixed, monthly costs.

As a simplistic example, lets say my fixed costs are $2,000/month and my variable cost is roughly $5/lb of roasted coffee sold. Revenue is $15/lb. If I sell 200 lbs of coffee/month, my revenue would be $3,000. My variable costs would be $1,000. Total costs for the month would be $3,000. So 200 lbs. of coffee sold for a month would be my break even point.

If I manage to sell 500 lbs. of coffee per month, my revenue would be $7,500, while my variable costs would be 500 lbs. X $5, or $2,500. Variable and fixed costs would total $2,000 + $2,500, or $4,500, leading to a profit of $3,000.

Hope this helps.

lw

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
^ agreed
If you are having trouble putting that list together you probably need a solid team of advisors, partner, or maybe should hit some books on business

I cleaned this up before I posted it
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1j2DXuJcdTMVXItamRreG9abjQ/edit?usp=sharing
The colored boxes are for variables. There are no instructions, it wasn't really intended for anyone else.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1j2DXuJcdTMVjR1c1lQWEk3aHM/edit?usp=sharing
I'm not the author of this one, but it is pretty helpful. I have a personal version that is 'better' but less intuitive. Find something that works for you and tweak it so that it is helpful for you to understand the numbers.

Best of luck

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
helpful spread sheets

Mr Shave, I think your files should be most helpful for sonewcoffee :images: I made some much like yours after getting ideas of everything from a couple books I read one of which I listed above. The books helped me think of things that I didn't know to think of, at first. Unless you can have a mentor to chat with, it is hard to think of everything that one needs to know about. What you posted here is great for people coming to the forum trying to learn... Good job! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Jerry

sonewcoffee

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Mr Shave,

Thanks for sharing. As others have said, no 2 coffee shops are alike, however it is great to see what others are looking at, and how well they areorganized. Of course this is not EXACTLY what I or anyone else would/will copy however it is a great starting point! A lot can be learned!

Amyasuda

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Warning!

Nice! Sure if you only had one menu item or was a competitor that did not want you to succeed, then these comments might be valid. I suggest QuickBooks or other software with such functions or see your accountant at a very high premium. But for heaven sake be very careful with whom you take your advise.

Good Luck,

Amyasuda

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Warning!!

Would anyone have or know where to get a spredsheet where I can enter my info in to get a sense of what my breakeven would be, total start up costs, how to allocate my fixed and variable costs, etc?!

Nice! Sure if you only had one menu item or was a competitor that did not want you to succeed, then these comments might be valid. I suggest QuickBooks or other software with such functions or see your accountant at a very high premium. But for heaven sake be very careful with whom you take your advise.

Good Luck,

Amyasuda

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site

Good Luck,