Looking to Invest in a Coffee Shop

AIM

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Originally from California, I recently completed my MBA in the UK and I have a strong background in customer service/experience and relationship management--no experience in running a coffee shop!!

I have a passion for creating delightful experiences and providing customer with exceptional customer service. At some point down the line I aim to have my own coffee place in California that would provide quality coffee and cold beverages desserts (not spilling my beans on the concept just yet :)).

In the meantime, I think the best way to enter the coffee shop industry is to invest in an existing shop and help run the coffee place. Any thoughts? Where would I find such opportunities? I am a new member and would love to hear from everyone.

Thanks!!

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
Hi - I've owned a couple of businesses. One was quite successful and the other, well, let's say it didn't make it after a year. Neither were coffee shops.

My advice is:
1. work in the coffee shop for 6 months, if possible
2. study the neighborhood and surrounding area
3. study the traffic coming by
4. have an accountant
5. study the lease with your attorney
6. have sufficient cash resource - don't plan on taking a salary for possibly one year

Whatever you do - best of luck!

AIM

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you AlanK. Funny enough, you are the second person in one week to say "work at a coffee shop for 6 months." I am starting to think this is the only way to go. Probably pick it up as a second job.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am saving your recommendations.

CocoMoka

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I work for a Franchising Company that offers a coffee café concept. With your experience in customer service/relationship management you are already ahead of many people who open successful coffee shops. Working at a coffee shop for 6 months would definitely give you the experience to complete the package. If you would like I can send you some info on the start up costs for opening a coffee shop so you'll have an idea of the amount needed to invest.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I've owned a couple of businesses. One was quite successful and the other, well, let's say it didn't make it after a year. Neither were coffee shops.

My advice is:
1. work in the coffee shop for 6 months, if possible
2. study the neighborhood and surrounding area
3. study the traffic coming by
4. have an accountant
5. study the lease with your attorney
6. have sufficient cash resource - don't plan on taking a salary for possibly one year

Whatever you do - best of luck!

Very well said. Try to do this steps first to see if the coffee industry is for you.

Flori
Blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

AIM

May 8, 2013
Visit site
CocoMoka,
Thanks for your thoughts. I would very much appreciate it if you can share that info with me. I hope you are right about completing the package. I want to get there and I hope I will.

Thanks!
I work for a Franchising Company that offers a coffee café concept. With your experience in customer service/relationship management you are already ahead of many people who open successful coffee shops. Working at a coffee shop for 6 months would definitely give you the experience to complete the package. If you would like I can send you some info on the start up costs for opening a coffee shop so you'll have an idea of the amount needed to invest.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
There are few things about Successful coffee shops.
I love everything about coffee. Even the worst part of owning a coffee shop is better then other business I have owned in the past.

That is how i got into coffee business, buying the business that is doing very well.
This was the best thing I have ever done.
The business I purchased was doing between 10k -15k a week. Grossing over 430k a year.
Now I have owned it for about 5 years, we are doing about 650k a year and I am on my way to doing around 700k this year.
I have owned different business and this was most of fun I have ever had owning and running a business. I was planning on opening few more coffee shops but I decided against it because of the different venture ideas I want to explore before I commit myself to longer business hours.

Here is the list of most important thing about coffee shop
1. Location This will make it or break it. Never ever compromise on location.
2. Staff. You do not want to compromise on staff. They will sell your product. If the believe in your product, they will be the best sales for your business
3. Your shop decor. If your shop is very inviting and offer something to come back for more, people will be back. People like to sit down and enjoy your coffee. Unless your concept is drive thru.
4. Your coffee. As you can see I put quality of coffee at 4th not at first. Reason behind it is because of other successful coffee shop. (Starbucks, Illy, and other national brands) I do not think they have great coffee. Good but not great. They have great marketing.

Good Luck

4strongertomorrows

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I just started working with a online company that sells coffee in numerous of different ways, either ground coffee , whole bean coffee or K cups.

search for " 4strongertomorrows "at facebook

Note: I do sell coffee products but I also work with a variety of different company as well, remember to hit the follow button if you like what I have. Thank you