Opening a new coffee shop - HOPEFULLY soon!

CoffeeBean13

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi - my family is planning to open a coffee shop this summer & right now we're in the midst of finishing up our business plan - the biggest piece of the puzzle. We have found a great location and are very excited about the business. Right now I'm tasked with researching what equipment we are going to need and I am SO glad I found this forum! I've learned a lot of helpful information already - there are some great tips here!

Just wanted to say hello and thank whoever it was that started this forum - it's great! :coffee:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "CoffeeBean13"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums. It's great that you found us.

There is a lot of useful information here. Please feel free to ask questions when you're ready.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
welcome aboard.
You said you have found the great location. If you could share what makes the location you found great. Price? foot traffic? lease terms? Shops around? Traffic direction? I am just curious. Because 90 percent of the coffee shop fail because they have the wrong location.

Thanks

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
CoffeeBean13,

What CoffeeJunky has just written is spot on.

Let me add to it.

It's preparation and execution. The right location, the right coffee, the right lease rate, the right skills, equipment, money... EVERYTHING... is the result of preparation. And how you execute on that gathered knowledge will determine your success or failure.

hongkongcoffee

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I have just moved to Hong Kong and have found the perfect place for a new coffee shop - it's expensive to rent but there is no competition and the footfall seems superb. However, I have no idea about how to go about opening a coffee shop so could you point me in the best direction - I have financial knowledge but no technical knowledge about the F&B industry. I am looking to set it up by the end of the year. Does anyone have any good tips to offer? Any steers on what to do/not to do would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Hongkongcoffee

CoffeeBean13,

What CoffeeJunky has just written is spot on.

Let me add to it.

It's preparation and execution. The right location, the right coffee, the right lease rate, the right skills, equipment, money... EVERYTHING... is the result of preparation. And how you execute on that gathered knowledge will determine your success or failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Hongkongcoffee,

Welcome aboard.
There is no simple answer to your question since you are not in my neck of the wood. But I would start by taking barista program or classes in HongKong or even online. Read few books and know what you are up against.
Having the location is great but as I have pointed out earlier post, you have to know what make the location so desirable for you.
There are tons of step to opening your own coffee shop.

1. Be able to run your shop. You have to know every aspect of the business.
2. Decide your bean supplier.
3. Price the build out
4. Equipment
5. Hiring and training
6. Food supplier
7. Advertizing
8. grand opening.

Just made the list from the top of my head but I am sure I am missing many details.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
congratulations on new venture. do keep your questions coming for i am sure there are a lot of coffee lovers here willing to extend their knowledge :).

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

Latest posts