Is selling coffee at a Farmers Market profitable?

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Our local Farmers Market is going to expand in late Sept. I am working on a budget to see how much I would need to spend to have a really nice booth etc. This market is open year round, currently there is one booth selling coffee to drink and roasted coffee. I am new to roasting and have not started to sell my coffee yet. My original plan was to be ready by fall. What are your thoughts please.:info:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Have you gone to the Farmers Market to take a look at the booth that sells coffee and roasted coffee? Does it look like they're doing a lot of business with enough to spare (for you)?

I recall three members of this Coffee Forum who successfully sold coffee at Farmer's Markets. Unfortunately, none of them have visited the Forum in quite a while. I tried to do a quick search for their old posts, but I haven't been able to find the ones that I was looking for. I remember them discussing using air pots for the coffee, cup sizes, prices, and whether or not to offer cream and sugar:
http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/coffee-drinks-19/sorry-no-cream-sugar-signage-6883/

From what I remember, they each were very happy to see the Farmer's Market season come aound. I got the impression that it was a profitable endeavor. It sounds like yours will be a year-round adventure. Will you have an booth inside a building?

Rose

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Thank you PR for searching for those members. I will do more recon on the current seller! We live in So. Ca. so the tent will need to be meant to be outdoors, no building. I also thought it would be a great place to start and also get feed back. Denise

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
YES, you can make money. And get there early, all those folks in the farmer's market left home so early that they didn't have time to get properly caffeinated so that'll kick-start your sales.

And if there is a coffee booth there already, think complimenting instead of competing. We do this in some of the coffee shops we're in who already have another's coffee. Those guys are predominantly South and Central American whereas we're primarily African and Indonesian.

tortillatree

Feb 8, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Visit site
Even if a farmer's market isn't terribly profitable, it is great exposure. Make a big sign with your logo on it, have lots of business cards, wholesale pricing sheets -- until you land a couple big accounts, you need the farmer's market to help you get your name out.

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
The Farmer's Market I frequent every Saturday has 3 coffee vendors serving coffee and espresso. They all seem to do well, especially the ones offering small free samples and tid bits of coffee education for the consumer. Good Luck!

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
I do agree that it is a great way to get out there, and to get feedback. The person who decides who gets in seems not to want another coffee roaster since there is one booth. I plan to push back on that decision if it is a no. After the market is planning to expand, I have not problem with another coffee booth. Thanks for you ideas.

Sidram

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
A farmers market is the same as a store, do your research. If the market looks like a swap shop then you might want to shy away. On the other hand if the people are buy high quality vegetables then you might do well. Location location location.

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
There many farmers markets, one some where 7 days a week. This one is really a Farmers Market and I think the clientele is perfect. Plus it is in my hometown.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It sounds like a good spot for you.

You said they may not want another roaster/coffee booth, but since they're expanding, maybe you can convince them to let you give it a try. Is there anything that you can offer or do differently - - something that the other coffee booth doesn't have (or do)?

It may not work out for this September, but you can try again some other time after the expansion.

Rose

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
I believe there are 32 booths now and they plan to expand to 50. It is possible I may not make the very first cut, but with 50 booths there should more than enough business for 2 coffee roasters. All of your input is very helpful.

chikung

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I would also do a research first as others suggested - go to the market on several days and see how the other one is doing - many people or even queue standing there? then you have a great opportunity over there :)

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Marketing strategy is very important in business. Setting up a booth which is nice and comfortable for farmers can help them to dispose their coffee products. Also, inviting farmers in your booth is advantageous in your part since you can negotiate the price if you plan to get coffee directly from them. More research would be better to get more ideas.