What Does It Take To Become A Good Barista?

Biggbguy

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all! I just got a job at a Biggby Coffee shop! This is my first job as a barista but I'm very passionate about coffee so I know quite a bit about it. I was just wondering, what does it take to be a good barista? What skill should have? Also, if you were hiring an experienced barista, what would you be looking for?

Thanks a ton8)

Stephen

Freshbeans

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I was told by somebody in the industry (of whom I had essentially asked the same question) that he knew somebody was a good barista when they could go over to an espresso machine that they hadn't worked on before and make a great cappuccino including latte art. I'm a month in as a barista and still working on my art, but its something that I am striving for. -- Jay

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Watch. Listen.

Practice.

Continue to learn on your own time inside (with permission) and outside the shop.
Understand proper dosing, distribution, and tamp.

Learn how to diagnose overextracted and underextracted espresso. Understand how to dose by feel and adjust grind for humidity, especially during changing weather conditions.

Understand proper milk texturing, and the difference between foam density on a small latte and cappuccino.

Taste. Taste. Taste.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
know about coffee, watch videos or attend courses about it and most importantly practice practice practice :)

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
A good barista must acquire skills to make consistent shots. It can be acquired through training and practice. One skill is to identify flavor balance and defects so that a skilled barista can immediately adjust and correct them. Another one is the acquired experience and knowledge with wide range of coffees, blends, espresso equipment, and alternative techniques.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I was told by somebody in the industry (of whom I had essentially asked the same question) that he knew somebody was a good barista when they could go over to an espresso machine that they hadn't worked on before and make a great cappuccino including latte art. I'm a month in as a barista and still working on my art, but its something that I am striving for. -- Jay

Latte art is surely not indicative of a good/consistent barista. I have no idea where the crap evolved (don't really care), but IMBHO it has nothing to do with great coffee. *Coffee wannabes... stop crying already and go back to pouring your little hearts and pansies, lmao.*