Taza Dorada, Ecuador

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey, kids....

We just received our shipment of Taza Dorada beans from Ecuador this morning. Needless to say I roasted a batch soon after taking delivery. I now have samples to cup tomorrow with our cupping panel roasted to 420*, 430*, 438* and 444*. I cupped the darkest batch this afternoon and I'm guessing I took that one a bit past prime. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice, balanced cup, but the the beans I ate right out of the roaster at the lighter levels tasted more fruity and complex. Can't wait to try the entire line up tomorrow.

Interestingly, this batch entered first crack at around 370*, which is about 15* sooner than most offerings I've ran through the roaster. That leads me to believe it might end up being an example of a bean that shows well at very light roast levels.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if earlier/louder 1C is due to a fresher bean and/or perhaps slightly higher moisture content, and the moisture leaving sooner/faster is fracturing cell walls sooner. Any thoughts?

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
@Peterjschmidt, that logic makes sense in a way as fresh wood tends to crackle more than dry wood.
Eldub, i like your idea of "eating a bean". gives you an idea what the resulting roast will be like. thought i was the only one doing that.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Right on. I eat beans from most every batch I roast. Btw, in general, my favorite "eating" beans are from Colombia.