How much should I expect a drive through space to cost?

DapperJack

Feb 2, 2014
Seattle, WA
Visit site
I'm considering opening a small drive through espresso hut business in the next few years. I'm getting a lot of info and help locally and online, but I'm having trouble with one aspect.

How do you find a space to rent for an espresso hut and the space needed for cars to drive up? I've seen many different configurations of this type of business, from tiny huts in gas station parking lots to parking lots with a central pavilion with the hut and outdoor seating. Where exactly would I go to rent such a space and how much should I expect it to cost monthly? Any advice on this topic or on starting an espresso business like this is greatly appreciated!

-DapperJack

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I think what Peter is kindly trying to say is, "A drive-thru coffee hut??? WTF?" Yea, not to crush your dream, but "Why?"
If that's truly the route you want to go, you are better off doing a kiosk in a mall.

Consider that a dose of reality from someone willing to give it.

DapperJack

Feb 2, 2014
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Well, maybe where you guys live, but here in the pacific northwest espresso huts are very popular. I'm not trying to make a fortune, just enough to survive on and still work by my own rules. Any serious advice would be more appreciated.

-DapperJack

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering opening a small drive through espresso hut business in the next few years.
Are you looking for an espresso drive-through location in general? Are you calling it a "hut" based on the design and materials you'll be using? Just want to clarify.

There are a few drive-through locations I know that are very successful. Dutch Brothers Coffee being one of them. If you want to set it up on a parking lot, I would think you will need to contact the owner of said parking lot and ask them if you can rent the space. You can even look into purchasing land that would be a good location. You'll have a lot more say with the set up, but it will probably cost you more.

You'll also definitely need to talk to people in your city's building department and others that approve things like that.

I've heard rave reviews about the American Barista Coffee school and they have written a book about Opening a Specialty Coffee Drive Thru. They also offer it in a start up pack that includes Bean Business Basics, which I'm looking to purchase in the future.

Just a few thoughts.

P.S. If you're considering the bikini gimmick, I also don't think that will work.

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If you are putting up a semi permanent structure, which would be most-likely necessary for running electrical, plumbing, etc., look at it as if you are opening a brick and mortar storefront... funds... 50k+ to start at the bare minimum... You will need to go through all the hoops of business licensing as well as any specific licensing requirements that the local/state governments have...

Look at locations and inspect the traffic, take everything into account... Number of cars, type of cars, if on a corner, accessibility to you from each street... usually this is over estimated... be pessimistic it will benefit you...

Draft projections for 5 years and make sure you have enough capital to pay your fixed costs for 2 years... IE rent and utilities

A pop-up stand that operates on a generator, with its own water supply and drainage system is going to end up being comparable in cost...

Hope this helps!... Do your research and good luck...

hersteps

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I operate a drive-thru coffee shop in the Midwest. The town is appx. population of 15,000. I'm not sure how the city layout compares to where you are looking to open shop, but I am on the main highway that runs through the "up-town" business district. This town also has a historic downtown area that is more suitable for walk in shops. I built my building in a parking lot, that has main rd. frontage, that contains a flooring store and a car wash, therefore I must catch their eye from the road. There is an occasional shopper of carpet that desires a nice cup of coffee, but for the most part I have to lure in the passers-by ;) In this spot all utilities (water, sewer, electric, phone) were my responsibility to run to the buildings location. BEWARE! This can get expensive. With all of that said I hoped to paint a better picture of my location. I pay $600/mo lease for the lot only. A building for lease a 1/2 mile away, that was overkill, but had drive-thru capabilities goes for $2500/mo. I hopes this helps in some way!