Selling Brewed Coffee

Red_bronto

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I'm part of a cooperative that is going to being selling coffee at an already existing store sometime next month. I'm most likely going to be buying a Fetco TBS-21a coffee brewer with 3 Pots/Urns. We're going to want to have three different types of coffee in them (light/medium/dark).

I have no idea where to get coffee or supplies. I also have no idea how much coffee I'm going to need. I'm rather clueless:lol:.

To give you a general idea, we are located on a college campus, and we get about 150-200 people coming through the store a day. There is a coffee stand nearby that must sell about 200 cups of coffee at least (not including espresso drinks).

We have met with one roaster to begin selling bags of beans for home brewing. Their rates were $9 a pound, and they didn't offer discounts for bulk buys.

Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
you would need about 10 pounds of coffee. .7 oz per cup and about 20-25 cups per pound of coffee. I would not offer too many choice of coffee. Just one regular and one decaf coffee.
Where are you located? I can recommend few supplier at much lower price then 9 dollars per pound. And most likely, coffee supplier will help you get the other supplies as well.
Let me know.

CJ

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
CCSleeves enough already of pumping your product. We see you and will contact you if we need your services.

Welcome Red;
You might want to park or go into the other coffee place and stay for a couple hours 2 times during a day to get a more precise number of coffees that they sell. Also; I would go with maybe a light roast and something a little darker as well as maybe a decaff. You should be able to find a local roaster that can help you out with bulk orders, just need to tell them an approximate number of pounds you will sell per week. If they are unwilling to talk find another roaster that wants your business. It could be just that they get alot of hopefull people in waisting their time so you will need to impress them. Just look them up in your city.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

*Definitely shop around for wholesale pricing with more roasters. Ask for samples. You must be impressed with the product/products
that you are selling. You will want fresh roasted quality coffee. This is crucial from the get go. Especially if coffee is your main staple!
Think first impressions for returning customers.

*Maybe they(the roasters) can recommend a good SO or make a blend just for your venture.
I would recommend a medium roast(full city to fc+) for the majority of coffee drinkers,
and one French roast, also provide a decaf medium roast.

*Pick up a good burr grinder, Bunn and Grindmaster will not break the bank.
Ditting if you have the finances. You will probably want one to grind into your brew basket.
Both Bunn and Curtiss/Grindmaster make these.

*The Fetco will brew just fine. Very good machine.

*Do as much homework as you can now. I am sure there will be enough surprises along the way.
Be encouraged. Hoping the best for you!