is the SCAA a good place to start learning

gingerbreadman333

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Im planning to attend the Specialty coffee Association of America Expo in Seattle because they are offering courses on coffee and the business of coffee but which courses do i start with first ? is the Specialty coffee association a good place to start learning

I am passionate about coffee and looking for a career change. My dream is to open my own coffee shop but i have very little experience and dont know where to begin. my question is do i learn everything about coffee first ? or do l learn the business of coffee? i do understand that learning the coffee is important but most business fail due to the lack of knowledge in business.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
welcome aboard, if I were you, I would start read different thread in different coffee forum before you get to SCAA. But again, SCAA can only provide you with short and compact information. You need much more then just few hours of lesson and most of the people who are going to be there have pretty good ideas about coffee business.

So I would start from our forum. And move on to coffeegeek, SweetMaria and other decent coffee forums. And find out what you want to learn. List of things you would like to know and attend the SCAA. Remember, SCAA door entrance cost is very high.

Good luck

gingerbreadman333

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
welcome aboard, if I were you, I would start read different thread in different coffee forum before you get to SCAA. But again, SCAA can only provide you with short and compact information. You need much more then just few hours of lesson and most of the people who are going to be there have pretty good ideas about coffee business.

So I would start from our forum. And move on to coffeegeek, SweetMaria and other decent coffee forums. And find out what you want to learn. List of things you would like to know and attend the SCAA. Remember, SCAA door entrance cost is very high.

Good luck

thanks for taking the time and replying to me coffeejunky, greatly appreciated. Yes the Scca courses are extremely expensive and traveling and getting hotel would also add up too. I wanted to take advantage of it because i do only live 6hrs drive where the event is taking place. So your saying that the SCAA wont be worth it for me as a beginer in the coffee world ? and that i could get most of the info on forums? and coffeejunky would you reccomend any book that i can read ?

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Go. This show is amazing. Even if you just walk the floor. So many new toys and products...not to mention the people you can meet! I am super stoked to be going this year..not stoked that I live on the exact opposite end of the country.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Gingerbreadman,

Since you're only a 3 hour drive from the SCAA event, you'll be sorry if you don't go. You've already been considering it, and we're encouraging you to go, and once you get there you'll be very glad you did.

You mentioned that you're passionate about coffee, so I'm guessing you're familiar with the basics?

The question shouldn't be whether or not you should go, but what people recommend that you do when you get there to best utilize the time and money that you're investing in it. At the very least, go and walk around, and look at things, and ask lots of questions. Get samples, get handouts and brochures, take in the excitement, fuel your passion. Just Do It!

Rose

gingerbreadman333

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Gingerbreadman,

Since you're only a 3 hour drive from the SCAA event, you'll be sorry if you don't go. You've already been considering it, and we're encouraging you to go, and once you get there you'll be very glad you did.

You mentioned that you're passionate about coffee, so I'm guessing you're familiar with the basics?

The question shouldn't be whether or not you should go, but what people recommend that you do when you get there to best utilize the time and money that you're investing in it. At the very least, go and walk around, and look at things, and ask lots of questions. Get samples, get handouts and brochures, take in the excitement, fuel your passion. Just Do It!

Rose

Hey pinkrose,

you put it in the exact words." What is the best way to utilize my time and money that I have invested to go their" I narrowed it down to three things 1. BUSINESS courses 2. BARISTA courses 3. ROASTING courses. which one should I concentrate on ?

Thank you to everyone here , your guys feedback is so helpful

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
You have a limited amount of time for this event. I'd leave the roasting classes for another time.

Do you know that the SCAA has on-line classes too? You may want to explore that option sometime.

gingerbreadman333

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes pinkrose, I'm aware of the online class. I'm gonna be taking an online class called : CB 100 seed to cup on March 26. The tough question is whether I should taking business class when I'm there are jump into a barista training class

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I would jump into the barista training class. It's a great place to start. There is so much that you need to learn and explore. Have fun doing it at the SCAA event. Business classes are boring. Save them for another time.

gingerbreadman333

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
thanks pinkrose and coffeejunky, hopefully i see you there. im gonna be taking the coffee brewing class and the latte class. kinda nervous because i dont have any experince making an esspresso