Hot Water at the Farmer's Market

RedCup

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a very busy Coffee booth at our local farmer's market on Saturday morning. We sell our own Roasted Beans and serve cups of coffee brewed in a 6-cup Chemex. I use a Bunn OHW 80 oz water tower to keep the water hot. The issue is that we get so busy that I am brewing 3 of the Chemex carafes at the same time to keep up and the water tower does not keep the water hot.

Do you all know of any other solutions out there that would keep up with our demand?

Thanks for any ideas!

RedCup

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you have electrical service that will run two of the Bunns?

Peter,

I hav two Honda EU 2000 generators linked so I can pull 4000 if needed. I do need since I also have a 1pound Bunn grinder hooked up. Tow brew 3 Chemex pots I need 3 quarts of water at 190 degrees. I believe two Bunns still might not do it.

RedCup

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Nice problem to have. In addition to Peter's question, I'd ask how much more hot water do you need?

Janny,

For 1 round of brewing with 3 Chemex pots I use 3 quarts of water. So I would need to keep at leafs 3 quarts hot at around 190 - 200.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I would also recommend the large percolator urn.(easy to keep filling)
I have seen in Rhode Island and New York at different markets a small propane
fired table top cooker/grill with a couple of heavy duty tea pots. They look to be cast iron
and about 48oz. or so. Seems to keep the hot water rolling along.

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Thanks Bob_E. I searched for hot liquor tank. Do they have electric heated ones available?

I'm don't know of any electric ones that are being sold. They are usually homemade. Guys weld a bung/coupler onto the side of a stock pot to except a hot water heater element. Some add a thermometer and a dimmer switch, some add a thermostat.

Chipbean

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
You could try two Zojirushi 5 liter boilers. They both pull about 800 watts each. I don't have any experience with them but was looking at them for the same type thing and the wattage was reasonable. I think you are pulling 1300 watts for your boiler and 1080 for the grinder. Maybe someone here has some experience with them, I do not know how durable they are and anyone else's input would be appreciated. Make sure the pouring spout on the Zojirushi is out there far enough to be usable for your purposes.

What do you use as a washing regimen for your chemex to keep the health department happy. Something like a three basin container or separate tubs; wash, rinse, sterilize or something else?

RedCup

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
You could try two Zojirushi 5 liter boilers. They both pull about 800 watts each. I don't have any experience with them but was looking at them for the same type thing and the wattage was reasonable. I think you are pulling 1300 watts for your boiler and 1080 for the grinder. Maybe someone here has some experience with them, I do not know how durable they are and anyone else's input would be appreciated. Make sure the pouring spout on the Zojirushi is out there far enough to be usable for your purposes.

What do you use as a washing regimen for your chemex to keep the health department happy. Something like a three basin container or separate tubs; wash, rinse, sterilize or something else?

Looks like the Zojirushi takes 30 minutes to reheat so that won't work. I really power through the water.

Health department wants 3 basin sink. They don't stipulate how you wash.

Thanks!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Health department wants 3 basin sink. They don't stipulate how you wash.

It's amazing that Health Departments reguire you to have a 3 part sink, but they don't bother to follow up to see if you're washing things correctly. I bet most places that have the 3 basin sinks don't even know how to do it "right" (or even know why there are 3 basins).