Alex Fisenko's Coffee Shop Consultation package

joeg

Jan 3, 2005
Visit site
Thinking of getting into the coffee shop/drive thru business and came across an interesting website per subject posting. There are some great testimonials on Alex's website but I was wondering if anyone had purchased this course and found it to be beneficial in planning and executing their operation.

I have primarily a technical background but am considering a career change. I have enjoyed roasting my own coffees for several years now. Don't have any retail experience other than working in a deli many years ago when I was a college student.

Given the high percentage of start up businesses that fail I want to do everything possible to make this venture successful if I go down this route.

GA_John

Jan 4, 2005
Visit site
I bought the material. Overall, there is a pretty broad brush, but there are things in it that you will definitely take out of it.

BaristaExpress

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
First of all joeg, a business plan is in order before anything else! That will be your map to get from here to there..... Anotherwords no business plan and the venture is sure to fail..... Please don't think about tyring to have someone else write it for you because they don't even know your set goals for ther business nor do they know you (yourself) as well as you do. The business plan is the most difficult thing you'll ever have to do in your life (well you will think so) but it is "A Must" thing to have in order not to be just like one of those other bussiness's that have failed from poor planning. Good luck.

Daniel.

consultants

Met with our banker first time on Monday. Our business plan budget and intention to bring in a consultant was well met. What experience have other had? Does anyone have experience with Boot Coffee? We fully intend to use input from suppliers, keeping in mind their self-interest. We'd like to have a roaster in-shop and would love help in developing profiles for blends and espresso. Any leads?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
I have not attended Boot's workshop personally, but have heard glowing reviews of his roasting classes from experienced industry suppliers and a number of our retail consulting customers alike. -- would seem to be a safe bet.

However, your post reminded me of a previous thread HERE regarding the focus of a coffee shop (to roast, or to not roast), and thought it may be helpful.

For those companies that solely wish to create private label blends for their own use (and for retail sales) but do not plan to enter the wholesale roasting business, we find that it is often most effective to partner with a good quality full time roaster. As mentioned in the linked thread, there is certainly nothing wrong with doing both, but it is a lot to undertake at one time.

Best,

Andrew

BaristaExpress

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
Consciouscup, it sounds like you're trying to overflow your plate with to many things going on at once...... Remember that many cafes start out just a cafe and then move to roasting 3-5 yrs down the line as their experience grows in the industry. It even helps having someone you already know in the industry (a roaster) taking you under their wing and showing you and teaching you a few times a week how to roast. Also it takes time as to know what sells and what doesn't in the area that your opening your shop in.... what does the clients there like? Try to find what blends already sell in the area, (I'm not saying to be like the others but you have to have some point to start from) talk to a few of the roasters to find out. Maybe even add fresh fruit smoothies to your menu and chai tea, just to stand out from the other cafes in your area.... just a thought.

Signed,
Daniel

Full Plate

That's a valid point about overfilling our plate. "Focus" is a strong business proposition.

Here's another take: Any business must establish a unique selling proposition. I struggle to find that on the premise of quality of cup, service, environmentals, etc. That big, shiny roaster, at least in our market, would be pretty compelling. Our market is Starbucks, Caribou and Dunkin. Then small shops. Nothing in between. Nothing high end without a restaurant operation.

Andrew, your point about teaming up with a roaster for private labeling is a good thought.

p.s. Do you think we need an emoticon of our own. Given the name a buddha bean would be good!

tlhamzy

May 30, 2004
Visit site
Alex told me "GET YOUR LOCATION"

When I called on Alex for help, he told me "Get your location first, then call me back".

But the problem was, that was the part that I needed his help on the most. It took me 4 months to get a location, and then 3 more months of delays.

He seems like a very nice man, but he has to be able to assist us thru the tough spots, like finding a location too, in order to be 100% effective.

I have no doubt that once someone has a location, he can be very helpful, but I stopped there, and started reading books to save money.

I agree, the Business Plan is of utmost importance. Supplying Coffee Market Data from SCAA's reports is crucial to showing you will be profitable. That's just one part, of course. I used the SBA's sample to get started.

Good Luck!
Troyster

JavaHeaven

Feb 26, 2005
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Alex

I spoke with Alex sometime ago. He was nice, but seemed annoyed and very short. He told me to get a location and he would set me up with a company that could help with my cart. But my question is why would I find a site first w/out knowing if I'm taking a financial slump and need help finding one. His site said something to the effect of helping you not make that mistake. But it's better to read and do research and save you lots of $$$. :)

jsitz

Dec 28, 2004
midwest
Visit site
I've also talked with Alex and bought his book which I found to be quite helpful, good use of 150 bucks. I have not signed up for any consulting with him, nor will I likely do so.

I don't understand what all of you want from this guy. You all know your individual markets better than him, so why do you think he'll be able to find you a location? As I've gotten into negotiations on my locations, I've asked him his opinion, but I've come to realize that at the end of the day, I probably know better than him. He can help me with the coffee business where I'm a rookie, but he doesn't know my market.

At the end of the day, you're the only one who can open your business. Given that location is the single biggest key to your success, my assessment is that you'd have to pay someone a lot more than $150 or even $5000 to do it for you.

Also, given the number of calls he gets, he probably assumes that if you don't have a location, you're coffee business is a fantasy and that you are a waste of his time. And for that, I can't blame him.