Mobile Cafe - New Start Up

coffeemama503

May 16, 2014
Oregon
Visit site
Hey my name is Kayla, I have been a barista for the past 7 years and am now starting my own mobile cafe.

My idea is to have a mobile cafe I can tow with my motorhome stopping in different states/cities all around the U.S, putting down roots wherever I choose, and finding new locations for stationary cafe's as I travel.
I know quite a bit about starting a business but it's such a big job it would be nice to have some guidence.

When writing my business plan where do I start?

I have already chosen what espresso beans I am going with.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "coffeemama503" (Kayla)

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I don't recall anyone on this Forum ever doing what you're considering.

Are you considering finding a location and "putting down roots" for a while and then moving on?

It will be very difficult to travel across state lines and set up a stationary cafe wherever you choose. You have to have inspections, permits, etc. from every municipality that you settle down in before you can sell any coffee.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Hello "coffeemama503" (Kayla)

I don't recall anyone on this Forum ever doing what you're considering.

Are you considering finding a location and "putting down roots" for a while and then moving on?

It will be very difficult to travel across state lines and set up a stationary cafe wherever you choose. You have to have inspections, permits, etc. from every municipality that you settle down in before you can sell any coffee.

Rose

each states have different rules and also require permits for the food services.
So i can see where you are coming from but your dream requires too much money and time to put it to reality.
It is not impossible but not feasible.

What I would do is choose few cities you would like to travel to and inquire about the day permit or the weekend permit. But that also cost a lot of money.

You might need to go back to your drawing board based on the permit issues.

coffeemama503

May 16, 2014
Oregon
Visit site
Let me clarify, I don't plan on opening a stationary cafe for quite awhile, but as I travel I will keep an eye out for the perfect placement of this future endeavor.
As for all the permitting goes, I will be planning out my trip ahead of time so I know what areas I will be stopping in, that way I can get the right permits before I get there, I plan on staying in each area for a few weeks to a month, eventually either coming home and keeping my mobile cafe local (putting down roots).

Wouldn't I be able to get a vendor license of some sort? I know there are some food carts that move locations quite a bit within the same state.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes there are food truck that moves around but first you need to get the truck inspected and also you have to have local permits for the food service which also cost money.
If you are planning on staying for weeks, it might worth the try. I would inquire about the permit issue way before you get there. So this will take tons of planning.

I do like your idea for not limiting yourself to one location.
What else are you planing on serving other then coffee.

I would start my business plan with outline of your business. Why your business is different from other drive thru coffee shops.
Try to rough estimate your expense and also projected revenue.

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've recently relocated a mobile coffee truck and the difference from one community to another were overwhelmingly complex. Even thinking that I knew what was necessary did not prepare me for the hurry up and wait that I found. First I had to have the truck inspected (in person) then I had to apply for the business and vendor's license as well as getting the appropriate insurance/bonds, etc. required which took 10 days in one city and 21 days in the adjoining city. The vendor's permits required background checks and being fingerprinted. Before I could even begin selling coffee it took 20 days of me sitting around not making coffee or money in the new location and over $500 in permits, licenses, and fees.
So as you are planning your possible stops make sure you do your homework very well!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If it was only 500 dollars for inspection and permit, you got away cheap. I know few people actually cost them over 2,000 because they thought they needed to find something other cities didn't. They also made him put enter and exit sign. It can get really complex if you are not prepared.

rdelight

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I am also interesting in that kind of mobile cafe, but how could i know where is allowed to park and sell my products. Should i pay any rent for that location or not? I am located in north west Florida, is it allowed to park at walmart's parking lot or any other stores?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I am also interesting in that kind of mobile cafe, but how could i know where is allowed to park and sell my products. Should i pay any rent for that location or not? I am located in north west Florida, is it allowed to park at walmart's parking lot or any other stores?

Hello "rdelight"

Have you done any research at all regarding building and operating a mobile cafe (or drive thru) ???

I seriously doubt that Walmart will let you set up shop in their parking lot. And, most municipalities won't allow you to just park anywhere and sell your products.

Each municipality is different, and you'll need to explore the drive thru coffee stand regulations for your particular location.

Rose

sundstedt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Start Up Video

Thanks, i am still trying to choice between mobile option or static position for drive thru.

My name is Anders, I am new to this Coffee forum :lol:.

If you are a startup or existing business, have you considered an animated video for your product/service? Feel free to check out my website sundstedt.se

I am available for new projects and I love coffee so I thought I would ask :coffeemug:

delimacoffee

Jun 5, 2014
Cicero, New York
Visit site
Hey my name is Kayla, I have been a barista for the past 7 years and am now starting my own mobile cafe.

My idea is to have a mobile cafe I can tow with my motorhome stopping in different states/cities all around the U.S, putting down roots wherever I choose, and finding new locations for stationary cafe's as I travel.
I know quite a bit about starting a business but it's such a big job it would be nice to have some guidence.

Interesting business model. A business plan is easy to write but overwhelming when thinking about it the first time. Take it one step at a time. A business plan is simply writing down the idea as it is in your head. Make an outline.

I. Summary
II. Business Model
III. Regulation
IV. Risk
V. Financing
VI. ETC

And just fill them in the best you can. Then go back and rewrite, and rewrite, and rewrite. The business plan evolves over time but it's point is to give the reader a full impression of what the idea is. Good luck with your venture!

TheGreenJoe

Nov 8, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I would touch base on it just in case people stumble across and are interested...

So, I don't know much about business plans, but I own and operate a mobile coffee shop and the best thing I could say is to overestimate your cost and underestimate your profits....

If you are looking for financing, you are going to have to show what the cost for this venture is vs what the profit would be (that one might be hard)...

...if you are creating this thing from your own wallet, I would encourage you to look at what it would cost to start the thing and then add everything else later....

...I made the mistake of getting "nice to haves" instead of "need to haves"...Learn from me :)

Going back, if I were to change what I did....

1. I would have gotten a propane powered espresso machine. Although they are slower, it's a lot easier to travel with. I would try to attach an inline tankless water heater to it, so that my recovery time is shorter.

2. I don't think I would have purchased my airpot and commercial brewer and would probably just serve Americanos. It would cut my cost by 300 buck initially and I would have more room in the truck.

3. I would have hired a plumber to do all my plumbing. My plumber did my drain system and I did my inlet system and I'm still going back to work on mine.

4. I would have relied stronger on 12v than I have. More 12v lighting. Using inverters to help run my tankless water heater. More 12v in general.

5. The last thing, isn't a change in material, but one in mindset. I didn't realize how important foot traffic is. And I mean foot traffic. People out of their cars, walking from A to B. I didn't realize just how important that is. I currently set up at a local college where I am between parking lot and classes and I do pretty good here. I can't say it enough, plan to be right in front of your customer. Even 10 yards can make a difference.

I have more mistakes on my blog site. Check them out if you get a chance. www.greenjoecoffeetruck.com
Hope this helps!

Vince