Opening a new coffee shop!

miguel_ang16

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
hi guys!

i'm very new to coffee world but i already have the knowledge about it and took barista 101 and coffee management and all of that stuff… and HOPEFULLY my shop will be able to open on AUGUST 28, 2014 here in the philippines…

i got a'lot of questions to ask to all, coffee mentors, fellow shop owners and superiors...

what are the things to do A WEEK before opening? i mean, things to do like other promos? or do i have to have gimmicks and all?

hope to hear from one you readers soon, =) thank you in advance!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
hi guys!

i'm very new to coffee world but i already have the knowledge about it and took barista 101 and coffee management and all of that stuff… and HOPEFULLY my shop will be able to open on AUGUST 28, 2014 here in the philippines…

i got a'lot of questions to ask to all, coffee mentors, fellow shop owners and superiors...

what are the things to do A WEEK before opening? i mean, things to do like other promos? or do i have to have gimmicks and all?

hope to hear from one you readers soon, =) thank you in advance!

Miguel,

Congrats on your new venture.
I do not know much about coffee industry in Philippines but I know this is not going to be walk in the park which I am sure you already knew.

To give you few advise, not very many of us here on the site like the gimmicks or anything to sugar coat anything.
You need to be able to understand coffee and have your philosophy. But most importantly, you need to be able to show and let your customer experience exceptional service, flavor, taste and your love for the coffee.

If you are the same coffee another shop serves, why would anyone ever want to come back to you.

If your concentration is in single cup of coffee that you would like to brew each cup, let it be it and give the customers that great single cup of coffee. If it is espresso based drinks, make sure you pull the best espresso in your country. Have something where people can come back to over and over again. Don't just serve a cup of coffee like everyone else.....

CJ

miguel_ang16

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Miguel,

Congrats on your new venture.
I do not know much about coffee industry in Philippines but I know this is not going to be walk in the park which I am sure you already knew.

To give you few advise, not very many of us here on the site like the gimmicks or anything to sugar coat anything.
You need to be able to understand coffee and have your philosophy. But most importantly, you need to be able to show and let your customer experience exceptional service, flavor, taste and your love for the coffee.

If you are the same coffee another shop serves, why would anyone ever want to come back to you.

If your concentration is in single cup of coffee that you would like to brew each cup, let it be it and give the customers that great single cup of coffee. If it is espresso based drinks, make sure you pull the best espresso in your country. Have something where people can come back to over and over again. Don't just serve a cup of coffee like everyone else.....

CJ

i do understand and feel you sir.. thank you for that. it made me realize that coffee is not just to serve customers JUST coffee, thank you for that… it made me interested in coffee more. very encouraging. =)

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Welcome

I suggest start making coffee for your friends and get everything dialed in. Getting customers to the shop is good, if your product is good they will come back if it is not then they will not.

Also maybe join the Chamber of Commerce and arrange a ribbon cutting with the mayor.

Go meet people personally hand out free coffee cards to some people.

Thats what I would do here in the USA might be a little different in your country.

miguel_ang16

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Welcome

I suggest start making coffee for your friends and get everything dialed in. Getting customers to the shop is good, if your product is good they will come back if it is not then they will not.

Also maybe join the Chamber of Commerce and arrange a ribbon cutting with the mayor.

Go meet people personally hand out free coffee cards to some people.

Thats what I would do here in the USA might be a little different in your country.

hi thank you for that wonderful reply..

it's the same here in ph.. we usually arrange it with the mayor for ribbon cutting… also, my plan is i'm going to have a soft opening first to serve first my family and friends then give them comment sheets or suggestion box, for me able to see what are the things that needs adjustments...

=)

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
hi thank you for that wonderful reply..

it's the same here in ph.. we usually arrange it with the mayor for ribbon cutting… also, my plan is i'm going to have a soft opening first to serve first my family and friends then give them comment sheets or suggestion box, for me able to see what are the things that needs adjustments...

=)

Good luck please keep us posted and share some pictures of your store as we would all love to see it:coffee1:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
… also, my plan is i'm going to have a soft opening first to serve first my family and friends then give them comment sheets or suggestion box, for me able to see what are the things that needs adjustments...

I once worked in a new cafe that held a soft opening for friends and family. The idea was to get things up and running and to see what suggestions or comments people would have.

Unfortunately, the owner wasn't prepared to be bombarded with so many well-meaning suggestions and comments. She was angry because so many people had so much to say. I know she was under a lot of stress trying to get her cafe opened, but she really didn't want to hear anyone offer any advise, which is usually what people do at a "soft opening." In all honesty, I thought that most of the comments were good and were things that should have been considered, but she thought otherwise.

I like your idea about having a comment sheet or suggestion box. That way, you can look at the suggestions after hours when things quiet down.

Best wishes for a lot of success.

Rose

miguel_ang16

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I once worked in a new cafe that held a soft opening for friends and family. The idea was to get things up and running and to see what suggestions or comments people would have.

Unfortunately, the owner wasn't prepared to be bombarded with so many well-meaning suggestions and comments. She was angry because so many people had so much to say. I know she was under a lot of stress trying to get her cafe opened, but she really didn't want to hear anyone offer any advise, which is usually what people do at a "soft opening." In all honesty, I thought that most of the comments were good and were things that should have been considered, but she thought otherwise.

I like your idea about having a comment sheet or suggestion box. That way, you can look at the suggestions after hours when things quiet down.

Best wishes for a lot of success.

Rose

she must be good enough to hear all those criticisms right? hehe it's other people opinion, what i will do is to channel it to positive criticism.. hehehe must serve them good quality coffees instead of just selling the products. my aim is to give my customer good quality coffee and experience.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
what i will do is to channel it to positive criticism.. .

If you keep in mind that most people are basically just trying to be helpful, you'll be okay. And you never know if someone will offer up a good idea that may be useful to you.

Try not to roll your eyes and sigh - wait until you're someplace where they can't see you do it.

I still like the suggestion box idea.

miguel_ang16

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
that is very true PinkRose. Thank you for the encouragement. i'm excited to hear their comments, i know if ever they will comment something positive about my drink i served, it will be very heartfelt to me because they appreciate my work...

butterbescotch

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello Sir Miguel!

I know this is a bit upfront, but can I ask what particular machine are you planning to buy and why? I am having problem what machine to use. :/ Thank you for the insight!

miguel_ang16

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello Sir Miguel!

I know this is a bit upfront, but can I ask what particular machine are you planning to buy and why? I am having problem what machine to use. :/ Thank you for the insight!

Hello there! My machine is rancilio classe 7 2group heads.. Satisfied with the performance and i love their after-sales service of my supplier.