Opening a new shop

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
of all the posts I have read about what people will need to open their new coffee shop or espresso bar one of the most important pieces of equipment is a filtering system. I don't mean a cheap little under the counter one from China, I am talking about something that could handle large volume and produce the proper TDS requirements for Coffee and espresso along with making ice and ice water. SCAA says 150 ppm is the perfect set point to have great coffee. Many other will argue that number. 100ppm will also give you a great taste.
Like to hear what people are using

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
I agree, no matter what machines you use from cheap to bubba bubba it all starts with good water. I use a 5 stage RO system. Thanks for bringing this subject up, it is something that gets looked over all the time.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I started out with an RO system from Cirqua Water Systems which closed and renamed itself Global Customized water. Used a Claris filter Post RO. The Cirqua did an excellent job but did not like the way it was built. Graduated to Optipure's OP350 with a 16 gallon reserve tank. Great system! I use a Big Blue filter with a Acid washed Puregen cartridge for a polishing filter placed in line with the boilers. I have also used Filtrex VOC cartridges, but they seem to change the TDS drastically so I moved it to my cold water line going into my hot water heater.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Don't let Topher know that!! hahaha! A polishing filter will make a difference especially if the water is sitting in the lines for a period of time or if you have a reserve tank. I found, after many cartridges, that the acid washed Puregen was the best. Not saying others are not but it worked for my water