Coffee from the keg

Pinto

Jan 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Looking to keg my cold brew coffee. I'm curious as to what type of gas is best used to pressurize the keg? So far I've read Nitro or Argon but that was from a beer homebrew site.

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
I don't know anything about the process but I was at Stumptown Coffee Roasters last week and I had a cold brew coffee from the tap. It was nitro charged and had a head on it like Guinness. It was very delicious and sweet. He did say it's a very strong brew to stand up to the nitro.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Argon??? no way unless your welding!! Food Grade Nitro is all you need. Need to experiment with your brew to see which ratio works best for you. Get a dual gauge regulator for the tank. Purchase a quality Stout tap that is made for nitrogen. Not all taps are. 40 lbs at the soda keg is usually sufficient. My kegerator holds two 5 gallon soda kegs and I keep the tank external. They make some that holds 3. Easy to build your own also.

vintageflair

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Quality equipment and fittings come first in my opinion. Co2 comes in about 350 psi from a cylinder but Nitrogen is up around 3200/3500. Double check fittings and hose clamps or it gets messy:) Depending on how you intent to gas your brew a regular beer tap will work but a stout tap will produce a smoother pour. Leaving it connected and up to pressure(ant 35-40psi) for 4 or 5 days will get good results. Be careful of storage temp too, too low a temp can effect how the gas reacts with the brew. They say nitro won't effect taste but something does get a little lost if you start diluting things down. Keep it as a concentrate but stay away from artificial syrups and flavours. A little brown sugar in boiled/cooled water goes a long way. I'm still pretty new to nitro coffee but my background is nightclubs and bars, I know a little about the kegging side of things:)

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
How does one fill 1/4 slim kegs with coffee?

I've got two brand new 1/4 slim kegs. I took the snap rings out at work using the matching compression tool. Clean and fill with the spear out or use a keg tap?