Securing a spot for my "future" coffee cart

jgirl86

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the website and brand new to the coffee making world. I'm currently shopping around for a coffee cart and was curious how I should approach property managers at locations and ask them if I'm able to set up shop on their site? Preferably for free! I know that some places charge rent, but not all, so I've heard. So if you have any suggestions as to what I should say or how I should go about this. . . it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! - JGirl

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
How I should approach property managers at locations and ask them if I'm able to set up shop on their site? Preferably for free! - JGirl

Hello "jgirl86"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

When you look for something "for free" is tends to complicate the search.

I'm guessing that you'd either have to pay rent for the space, or you'll need to wheel a deal for something else, such as a guarantee that your coffee cart will lure new customers into the person's establishment.

Even if you try to set up your coffee cart in a church parking lot, I bet they'll want you to pay them something for rent.

It's hard to find things for free.

Rose

jgirl86

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot Rose for replying back to my first post, I appreciate it! :)

I totally see where your coming from, and I have mentally prepared myself for property managers to tell me that they might charge me rent! I just hope that the rent is not too high, if so then it's not worth my time because my coffee cart will be more an incentive for their property and the clients/customers who go there/work there, etc.

I'm just prepping for this right now, in case my current offer that i already made to an established coffee cart location does not fall through. I'm waiting for a reply back from the owner, that the property manager will give us a set commitment of months for us to operate there. If it's at least 6 months - than it looks like my first coffee cart business will already have a set location, cart with everything, and LOTS of foot traffic!

Wish me well! And if the deal doesn't go through, I will then take this route and buy my own and start looking into finding a location asap, along with purchasing a decent coffee cart as well. :coffee:

JGirl

jgirl86

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Northern California. Power? The electrical/plug in is already set up there. The owner did tell me that if we wanted to, we can run the cart on a generator. Thanks a lot!

Do you own your own coffee shop or cart? Where are you at?

JGirl

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I'm a coffee roaster for a chain of bagel stores..my roastery is in South Florida. What I meant was where are you getting power from? If I run a generator that's one thing but like you posted above it has a plug..am I to assume you are gong to have the business let you plug into their outlet? Pretty sure that won't be free. You might want to do some research on generators. Slurp here on the forums knows loads about generators. ...might ask his/hers advice.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Welcome to the Forums,

Foot traffic is key in picking a spot for a coffee cart. Property manager or owners are business men like us. Remember you get what you negotiate not what you deserve and you do not get if you do not ask. This is very true when leasing property.

jgirl86

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Slurp and Topher for your comments! So yes, there is a plug in the wall for the building. The owner has let me know that i can continue to use that plug, free of utilities (this is what her and property manager already have agreed on) and I'm waiting to hear back from her that I will also get the same agreement like her - as far as utilities. As for rent, there is no rent.

It's just a waiting game now.

But is running a cart on a generator cheaper than paying utilities? Just curious.

JGirl86

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Way cheaper to run on utilities than generator. Good quite generators cost $3000 then you have to fuel it at .75 gallon per hour. If it was me use the building power even at $150 per month.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
yes, there is a plug in the wall for the building. The owner has let me know that i can continue to use that plug, free of utilities (this is what her and property manager already have agreed on)

Will the plug that's on the wall of the building be able to handle the electricity for all of your equipment?

Will you be moving the coffee cart each night when the day is done?

jgirl86

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Slurp - Oh wow, I had know idea! Your right, I think I'd rather pay the utility bill!

Rose - No. The cart will stay there all night. Supposedly, the plug is able to with stand all of the juice from the cart. But I sort of find that hard to believe, because it's a small plug!

JGirl

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Espresso machine, espresso grinder, brewer, grinder for drip, fridges, lights and register. .. yeah might want to check that you have enough juice.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Espresso machine, espresso grinder, brewer, grinder for drip, fridges, lights and register. .. yeah might want to check that you have enough juice.

Oh details details....

Jgirl86 do you know the power requirements for your cart? If it was made for you the manufacture should be able to tell you. You may just want to double check.

Oh and good luck in your cart hope you make some $$$ and have fun. Let me know if you want some fresh artisan coffee :)