Prep Layout Question

robertj180

May 20, 2014
Visit site
We are building the service bar/counter for our new coffee shop and we ran into a little snag with the layout last night. This has spurred a little debate over equipment layout in the bar. And I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the ideal layout of equipment in the prep area. The debate mostly is the layout of espresso machine in relation to the POS and sink. From the espresso machine to the sink we are looking at 11', but I plan on putting in a glass/pitcher/rinser that could be located closer to the espresso machine. From the POS to the sink (the entire length of the bar) is 14'.

I've attached a very rough, not-to-scale drawing of what we're building. Do you think this layout would be ok with a pitcher rinser in close proximity to the espresso machine?

photo (2).JPG

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
went through the same thoughts as I was setting up my new place. I think a sink directly beside an espresso machine looks tacky but the rinser will be a nice addition. Most places that use the rinsers have them beside their machines and the setup is convenient. Besides to much confusion running that distance to clean something and back again. I would go for a drop in rinser vs a counter top

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I might suggest getting a mobile rinser that you can move around until you like the setup. I have several clients that have them sitting in stand vs in the counter. They went as far as to get flexible wire wrap to tie both the hose and drain line together to make it less noticeable. Seems like each barista that comes on the next shift seems to move them around a bit to make it more comfortable for them while they are up working the bar.

robertj180

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Well we decided to leave the espresso machine where it is, on the opposite end from the sink. I ended up getting the in-counter rinser, but I supposed I could build a quick box for it if we wanted it slightly more mobile.

It's all built now, just waiting to wrap it in drywall and install counters:
photo (3).JPG

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 346