Is Starbucks adding robusta to their beans?

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
If this topic is not new, I apologize. I scanned the list and did not see it. Of course, at my age that doesn't mean much.

About springtime I purchased a bag of my favorite varietal from the local Starbucks outlet in my neighborhood Vons (that's Safeway under another name). Upon brewing a pot (I grind my own) I was treated to one of the harshest cups of coffee I'd tasted since my days in the Navy. I checked everything, water quality, the cleanliness of the brewer, and so on. It was the coffee and it had the unmistakable flavor and aroma of robusta beans and in sufficient quantity to ruin the entire bag. So the question is this, did I buy an aberration or is Starbucks saving money by adding cheap beans to their bags? I found a good local source of high quality 100% arabica close by so my mornings aren't a loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Who knows what those characters are up to these days? I'm glad you found a local source of freshly roasted coffee. I would stick with that. I think the mega chain stores are doomed to drive the quality of the experience down.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
I'm assuming you looked very closely at the label? And it didn't mention robusta? Or, more specifically, did it say "100% arabica"?

I'm gonna stick my neck out in defense of Starbucks: Not because I love their brews. I recognize that they give us snobs plenty to criticize. BUT, they do lead a lot of people into thinking about coffee more seriously. Bardo, as for "driving down the quality of the experience of coffee": I know what you're saying, but I guess it depends on where you are starting from. Sure, from our perspective it's down. But compared to grocery store coffee sold by the can, I think we can all agree they are driving it up, right? Canned coffee is pretty much all their was in the US until Starbucks and the like entered the scene in the 70's.

"Robertlee" is a pretty good example, it appears. Somebody starts paying attention to what they are drinking, realizes it must be able to be better. Pretty soon he's on this forum digging for answers as to what else might be out there. Thank you Starbucks, says I. You think?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Just take a look at the whole beans. Most single origin coffee will have a consistent bean size, shape and color. The organic robusta we use in our espresso blend is smaller than most arabicas and roasts up unevenly like some naturals. But I'm guessing their economy of scale allows them to buy their arabica beans for bottom dollar.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Red, yes I agree. The bar has been raised by Starbucks and the like. I was thinking more in the future as we artisanal types bring even better coffe to the world, the corporate focus on profit will move the chain coffee experience the other way. But they are saavy so maybe not.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Starbucks, and most large chain and huge commericial outfits, use(s) 100% Arabica. And this is simply because they understand the buzzwords of coffee. That is why they target people with a tiny bit of knowledge (Arabica vs Robusta) but no actual understanding of what it is they "heard".

This should make you aware of 2 things.

1. All Arabica is not created equal. (hence C Market, Specialty Grade, and all permutations in and around)

2. If you don't roast your coffee properly, quality of bean is meaningless.

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks folks. In reply to some I haven't even bothered looking at bagged, tinned or boxed coffee on store shelves as where I am has a few local roasters who, thankfully are competing with each other. One is even inside the local Wholefoods where there is a time stamp on the bins and the roastmaster is adventurous. I came across a regional Mexican bean that actually tasted as good as it smelled.

RayTCoffeePro

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Looks like coffee leaf rust is making prices hike for a cup at Starbucks...

Arabica is susceptible to it but Robusta is so durable it could hold on....

Probably a motive for Star$ to do that....

Maybe buy a cup and observe the trend of change in prices and also the taste (looks like robusta is usually over-roasted to prevent the overwhelming levels of caffiene and to prevent stomach acid reflux that hurts a lot)

If it goes cheaper and taste like robusta, then yeah its a robusta swap.....

Not sure why they would destroy their reputation though.....

They even changed from Semi Autos to super-auto espresso machines (Even a normal man could use it!!!! but at the cost of quality)

Cheers mate ;D