Floor Plan Feedback/Advice

remedy69

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey Folks,

I'd like your input into the attached floor plan. This space (approximately 860 sq. ft.) is on the ground floor of an office building. The entrance door on the top right is from the street and is next to the door/revolving door that go into the building lobby. Both my entrance door as well as the lobby doors are under a large awning. I want to know if the space is conducive to efficient service flow as well as making patrons feel comfortable (not cramped).

Thanks!

Attachments

• FloorPlan_v1.0_100314.pdf
    115 KB · Views: 258

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Looks reasonable to me.

The only suggestions I would shave is moving the espresso machine closer to the door so it can be seen when customers walk in. Maybe switch the counter so ordering is towards the back. That is just my $0.02

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I thought about making my own ice cream and offering it in cones and cups. You show a dipping station but where is all the accessories, cones, and toppings going to be? It does require a lot of space. You will also have people standing in front of the dipping cabinet deciding which flavor they want, could disrupt flow in and out. I would opt out of the ice cream or move it towards the back and as slurp said move the espresso machine towards the glass so people can see it. The distance between the stools and the dipping cabinet looks like 5'. 6 people at the cabinet would create traffic problems as two people deep would be 3' leaving 2 feet to enter/exit and probably bump into the poor guy on the end stool/chair. Looks like a nice setup! Slurp gave you .02 so I am throwing in my nickels worth!

remedy69

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for the feedback. A couple of comments... Regarding the ice cream - 8 flavours, no cones, no toppings. I had thought about putting the espresso machine/barista station at the front and that was how my original plan was laid out. I then changed it because: 1. There is only a single door to the café and we are in mid-Western Canada - it is cold in the winter. 2. People waiting for their drinks would be in the same path as those entering the café. For these reasons I moved the barista station towards the back.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I agree with slurp.

Even with your explanation, you don't want the first thing the customers to see is an ice cream station, unless your focus is ice cream, and then that's ok then. The espresso machine should at least be on the nearer end of that long counter. It should be line of sight when you walk in the door. And, is it possible to construct a two door entrance and have a small foyer of sorts to keep the weather out?

And I have to ask, what IS with the ice cream? Canada, not Florida. Should you use that much space in your small shop for that? What are the long term benefits?

I can tell you from experience (house made gelato for a few years) if your ice cream is a reflection of your espresso. Whatever the quality of your ice cream is is how the quality of your coffee offerings will be viewed. If your ice cream is not to the level of your espresso, then it shows an imbalance in the quality of your offerings. Once you dedicate an entire case to a product, it better be f**king exceptional. Now, the good thing is, if you have amazing ice cream it will sell and sell and sell. The bad thing is, once people start coming for ice cream instead of espresso, in the long run, it's a bad thing. Thinking of it as an additional revenue stream is wrong. Just make sure you are implementing it into your shop for the right reasons. My .03

Best of luck!

remedy69

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Based on the feedback here and further discussion with my partner we agreed that we would get rid of the ice cream. We are in a downtown professional building surrounded by other office buildings. We want our focus to be the coffee. With this in mind take a look at the two revised floor plans and let me know which you prefer. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• FloorPlan_v2.0_BaristaBack_100714.pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 143
  • FloorPlan_v2.1_BaristaFront_100714.pdf
    115.9 KB · Views: 197

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
2nd pic as well.

You don't want your back to the customer when they walk in.

I would still think about putting an extra door in your front section, just continue that back equipment/counter wall, keep the garbage outside the main area. Take advantage of the space. The floor plan would make it fit very nicely

remedy69

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
2nd pic as well.

You don't want your back to the customer when they walk in.

I would still think about putting an extra door in your front section, just continue that back equipment/counter wall, keep the garbage outside the main area. Take advantage of the space. The floor plan would make it fit very nicely

Thanks John and Charlie for your feedback. I like the idea of extending the back wall and adding another door. In the winter this would be where customers can stomp the snow off their boots and not let the cold air in. I'll check with the landlord about that. Thanks!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
My thought would be to switch your hand sink with your wash sinks. Understand, I do not own a cafe, but use my espresso machine enough to know I like to
rinse out the portafilter baskets, rinse my portafilters, and rinse out frothing pitchers, etc. Also, they would be between your coffee station and espresso machine.
Just looking at it from a practical and utilitarian aspect. Make any sense?

remedy69

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I updated the floor plan to include a door that goes directly to the lobby as well as the original one to the street. Comment/feedback welcome...

Attachments

• FloorPlan_v3.0_100914.pdf
    116.7 KB · Views: 140