First event this weekend! Need recommendations and tips please!

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Update: So as it turns out I would have to either settle for a bad location or take on many loans and a partner with majority control which is not what I want. The cost adds up real quick and new difficulties come out in every corner. I have opted out for starting small and I am now roasting 25lb a day and have my first event this weekend in Long Beach, CA. I will be pouring coffee, selling whole bean coffee, and looking for wholesale accounts in a cigar lounge with high traffic. I will be serving the following coffees:
Costa Rica Las Lajas
Brazil Volcano Thera
Guatemala Finca La Cepresada
Mexican organic Decaf
I will be serving only 12oz cups either pour over or aeropress. I only have one grinder available for this weekend and I plan on clearing the grinder with a couple grams of coffee everytime I switch between coffees do you guys think this will be a really big issue? Should I look for at least 1-2 more?
Any tips? What else should I bring?
Thank you guys!

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I was also thinking about espressos but I currently have a Breville BES 870XL and I'm not sure how the crowd that is into going to places like blue bottle and Stumptown would react to that. I can get an industrial one maybe in a month or so depending how well these events go that I will host every weekend but for now either I stick to pour over and aeropress only or do those as well espresso which I think that specific crowd would prefer.
thanks your your help guys!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Are you selling drinks or providing samples? Is it just going to be you? I would think the aeropress wouldn't be the best option if having to serve volume. I would use a multi-cup pour over station or large French press. Go through every step of the process and right down the equipment / cleaning supplies, etc. How are you heating up water? Electric / gas?

And here is my sales manager hat.... ASK for the sale... when your talking to customer and they have shown interest in coffee. Ask the customer if they would like to purchase .. I teach that to all of my new account executives - the ones that listen to me typically increase their sales 20-30%.

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I will be selling drinks and whole beans, with someone helping me during the lounges peak hours. I will be using an electric kettle for the water and a multi cup pour over station.
I will definitely be asking for the sale, to my advantage they stay anywhere from 1-3 hours on average so I have more than enough time to chat with them and plant more interest through conversation. I will also have an album and a link to my site with my pictures to Guatemala for coffee and the details on all the coffees I will be serving.

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I will give it a shot with just one for now thanks! What do you guys think about using a Breville BES870XL for a small event like that? ??