Milk in a corny keg system

VillageCoffee

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone ever put 5 gallons of milk in a corny keg and have the milk come out of the tap instead of pulling out the gallon every few minutes to make espresso drinks? we would like to find a better and unique system for this, there are some really expensive systems out there but if we can just pour 5 gallons of milk into a corny keg, hook up the co2 and get a good flow from the tap, I think would be a unique way. Any thoughts?...

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I would not use CO2, but instead food grade nitro. Pain to keep clean also and the milk up near the spout would spoil if not used fast enough and if the room was warm. Gravity feeds are still the best. This is all if you are thinking of using a kegerator. JMO

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Has anyone ever put 5 gallons of milk in a corny keg and have the milk come out of the tap instead of pulling out the gallon every few minutes to make espresso drinks?

You could transfer the milk into a large insulated milk carafe and keep it on the counter, instead of pulling out the gallon of milk every few minutes. The insulated (thermal) carafe will keep the milk cold for a long time, and all you need to do is refill it when you need to.

VillageCoffee

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I would not use CO2, but instead food grade nitro. Pain to keep clean also and the milk up near the spout would spoil if not used fast enough and if the room was warm. Gravity feeds are still the best. This is all if you are thinking of using a kegerator. JMO
is there a certain gravity fed system you use or have seen? or are you talking about the commercial ones where you put the bag in the this link?

VillageCoffee

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
There is a company in Canada that had a refrigerated unit that would hold a solid container in which you could pour whatever into it and it also had the bags. Pricey though near 3K
Another company makes a countertop refrigerated Frieling: MILKChiller? II | Frieling
Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXr3TJFs2Y
what about something like this Stainless Beer Faucet, Cornelius Ball Lock Disconnect Attached,Quick Disconnect tap-in Barware from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group no hoses to clean and replace the co2 with nitrous? its for a mobile unit and I am trying to cut down on electricity needs. I will have a large ice chest packed with ice to keep it cold.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
IMO... you would be better off getting a milk dispenser that was used off ebay, etc. than going a corny keg route. I think your cost of food grade nitrogen (not a CO2/Nitrogen blend... aka "Stout" blend) would quickly catch up the cost of a milk dispenser. If you went the corny key you would have spoilage issues since most towers in a tap systems are not fully cooled/insulated. Also, if your going the corny keg route your health inspector may require NSF stamps on the kegs and only the most expensive kegs will have that marking.

VillageCoffee

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Do you enough volume of customers, who order espresso-based drinks, to justify the expense of having five gallons of milk easily accessible on top of the counter?
we have a brick and mortar store that does well with a steady flow, this will be an addition to our store. Really trying to get something different in the coffee truck that stands out and is unique. so we are still in the design and planning stages of the coffee truck. We would like to go with as less power to run the truck as possible (using a fracino lever 2 group machine lpg to do this), so that's why I thought we could use the "milk on tap" idea and put them in custom type coolers...

Latest posts