Coffee Shop Build-Out: Drainage?

jsab

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
What's up guys? I'm pretty new to the forum but have already received some really great information and feedback.

I'm in the early stages of starting a coffee shop in Florida. I have been talking with the city and they have notified me that I don't need a floor drain since we are not a food establishment... But espresso machine's say they need drainage underneath. Should/Can I just use a bucket of sorts to collect the drainage and empty it overnight?

Also, I need a mop sink as a part of the requirements. Does anybody know if it can be just a normal sink that is "labeled" as a mop sink, or does it have to be a certain type of sink on the floor?

This is my first business and the contracting/building code phase is by far the most intimidating. Any feedback helps - thanks folks!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
it all depends on your inspector. Mop sinks are pretty cheap. Look at Webstaurantstore.com. They have some great prices. If you can away with not installing a drain for the espresso machine go for it, but be prepared for the plumbing inspector to say no.
I have found that if you sit down with the proper inspectors and discuss options it usually works in your favor.

jsab

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I noticed in a local cafe that they have their espresso machine connected to a tube for drainage and the tube empties into a funnel sort of, which is connected to a pipe, which runs off somewhere probably into the mop sink or floor drain. So that relieves some pressure about that.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
sometimes things should be installed after the initial inspection. For example, most espresso machines are not UL approved. That means they are not allowed in a commercial setting but there are hundreds of shops that have non-UL equipment and are getting away with it. MA is hellbent on UL approved and there are several larger cafes that have Slayers. Slayer is not UL approved. Talk to a plumber and see what shortcuts if any, can be installed. If you are installing an ice machine then that will also need a drain, maybe tie in if they are on the same counter.